A "Dull" and "Boring" partnership
Dull, Scotland welcoming its visitors.
August 15th, 2012

A "Dull" and "Boring" partnership

By Edgar Treiguts, CNN

(CNN) – This is a dull and boring story. Or rather, one about Dull and Boring.

Seemingly always meant for each other, this summer officials from the towns of Dull, Scotland and Boring, Oregon signed-off on an 'unofficial' sister-city partnership.

The Dull and Boring citizens hope the good-natured notoriety can bring a little extra tourist traffic – and fun – to their city limits.

[1:44] "Basically, it's a means of just attracting attention to our names: Boring and Dull", says Steve Bates, chairman of Boring's Community Planning Organization.

As for whether residents of the two towns would consider themselves dull or boring, it depends who you ask. Tony Fawcus runs a pub on the outskirts of Dull:

[2:44] "As for Dull, that could be said to live up to its name, but it's not. There's a lot of interesting characters."

The marketing machine has already cranked-up in Boring, with T-shirts and hats printed that proclaim the partnership, "A Pair For The Ages."

1. Kirkcudbrightshire

Someone essentially assist to make severely posts I'd state. That is the first time I frequented your web page and to this point? I amazed with the research you made to create this actual publish extraordinary. Great task!

August 21, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Nancy

My last name married name was "Boring". There is a large "Boring" group in Johnstown, PA.

August 17, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. joe

I LLIKE IT!

August 17, 2012 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dmitry

How you're will name a boat, thus it will boat

August 17, 2012 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Learn Proper Sentence Structure

All your base are belong to us.

August 17, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. Dmitry

How you're will name a boat, thus it will boat.

August 17, 2012 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. makeitrain

Is there room for a threesome with Normal, Illinois?

August 16, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • BloNo Resident

It's too late. Normal is already paired with Bloomington.

August 16, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

I live about 1 hour from Dogpatch, Alberta, Canada

August 17, 2012 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. Daniel

Kind of cool! I live in Long Beach, CA. Yesterday, I was telling a friend that I am getting tired of the hustle and bustle, the noise, the police sirens and car alarms. I need a change. I put up a picture of Oregon on my work computer as a reminder that beautiful life is out there. And here I am, writing this comment. I may take it as a good sign! I think I'm setting my sights on Oregon.

August 16, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grandpa RD

I'm with ya, Daniel! I've visited friends all over Oregon, and I would love to move there too. Advice for you, though... never... and I mean NEVER EVER tell anyone up there that you are from California. ESPECIALLY Southern Cali. Best way in the world to become a social leper in Oregon.
      You are now from rural Tennessee, and wanted a change of scenery. Seriously!

August 16, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Daniel

Thank you for the advice, Grandpa! ! From now on, I am from Tennessee. And change in scenery is what I wanted! I am seriously thinking about moving and can't wait. The noise and pollution is making me depressed. Plus, being from Ohio originally, I miss the change of season and thunderstorms. It's high time to step it down a notch and get back a REAL life. Take care of yourself buddy.

August 16, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
        • DBD from PDX

Don't worry Daniel it's a myth, or at least here in the Portland area... However, if traveling east of the mountains, being from Tennessee may score you more points as eastern Oregonians have more in common with Tennesseans...

August 16, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
        • Daniel

More great advice DBD. I have a good friend from Tennessee. Really nice people.

August 16, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • GoDucks73

I grew up in LB and moved to Oregon for college in 91'......still here!

August 17, 2012 at 3:34 am | Report abuse |
      • Daniel

Cool! Looking for a change. I need to decide the best area. Almost finished with college with a degree in marketing.

August 17, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom T

Daniel,
      Oregon is a state of many parts. Coast, the Valley, Cascades, High Desert, and Eastern Oregon. BUT first you need to know: IT SNOWS, and gets packed into ICE. Or, if you like the coast gets very windy and wet. Portland has ice on the freeways a few days each winter. So you might want to practice first. In a big, a really big parking lot grease your tires and slide around- joking - don't do this the EPA, and everyone will be on your a$$.
      Please do us one kindness. Leave the idea of changing Oregon into some sort of California copy behind. I left Cal. some years ago, felt crowed out by all the people moving in ( Cal native ). And if you really want quite I have 5 acres in a subdivision I am willing to sell.

August 17, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
      • Daniel

Thanks for your words, Tom. I need to do some research first. I'm from Ohio, so snow would not be a problem. It will be a big adjustment though.

August 17, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cherries

I don't know much about Dull, Scotland. But Boring OR is a beautiful place. Although its develpoing very quickly, there are still picturesque farms and lots of u-pick berries.

August 16, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. oldman100

THIS IS F UCKING AMAZING!!!

August 16, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |