CNN Profiles: The real David Gergen
David Gergen, CNN senior political analyst and former adviser to US Presidents Nixon, Ford, Reagan, and Clinton.
September 21st, 2012

CNN Profiles: The real David Gergen

By Michael Schulder, CNN

Follow on Twitter: @schuldercnn

(CNN) - I’ve never heard anyone ask CNN’s senior political analyst, David Gergen, about his role in developing one of the most memorable lines ever in a presidential debate.

I've never heard anyone ask him about the message former President Nixon urged him to pass on to the new president Bill Clinton.

Never heard him talk about the pocket of American politics that gives him real hope for our future.

Never heard him talk about his mentors.

Never heard him talk about the growth spurt that killed his baseball dreams – about the pitch that got away.

I've never heard anyone ask him what he’d tell his four grandchildren about the world they will inherit.

Now, we have the answers to those questions and more. Answers that reveal a side of David Gergen that we don’t see on the daily political panel discussions.

You’ll only hear the answers by listening to this program. David Gergen, adviser to Presidents Nixon, Ford, Reagan and Clinton. Professor at Harvard’s Kennedy School.

CNN’s senior political analyst. A man with a big family and big dreams for America’s future, here on CNN Profiles.

1. daily stock alerts

Valuable info. Lucky me I discovered your web site unintentionally, and I am surprised why this coincidence did not came about in advance! I bookmarked it.

September 22, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. heemon

He's watchable .

September 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. TVE

Took his "Art of Communication" class few years ago and was awesome! He had great political stories and was a very engaged prof. He would sometimes show his political lean, but was always more interested in striving for good governing and leadership.

September 21, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Will

My favorite David Gergen moment was when he was interviewed by Alex Jones about the Bohemian Grove, classic...

September 21, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Claudia, Houston, Tx

I like Gergen's professionalism because he never appears to take sides, he likes to speak from honesty. That Alex C. guy and Bennett are mean old men, especially Bennett.

September 21, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Marty

David Gergen is about the only analyst that I respect and enjoy hearing. I believe that he is fair and honest and I for one would really like to see him involved in a show "Political Oasis". I would watch. Get people from different sides with some of the same ideas and ask them, "How can we get this done?"

September 21, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. doug knudtson

He was surprising quiet on the whole 47% flap. Me thinks he should have protested over the slighting of so many people who were thrown under the bus by that remark.

September 21, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nate

lol? All of the criticisms on this forum just don't hold any water. *sigh* people..

September 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Omar

Mr. Conventional Wisdom. Never seems to have any interesting insights.

September 21, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Alex

David Gergen would be one of those people that I would LOVE to sit down and have dinner with. I very much enjoy hearing his political perspective and respect his opinion.

September 21, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Grag

He's a real white, conservative comformist, with no creativity . He has lilly soft hands too.

September 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Al

At one time I admired and respected his views as a fair minded republican. But lately he has paniced and is no longer fair minded but just another GOP hack.

September 21, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 107 other followers