The ultimate unlike: politics on Facebook
When discussing politics on social networking sites be careful not to harm actual relationships.
October 17th, 2012

The ultimate unlike: politics on Facebook

By Emma Lacey-Bordeaux, CNN

When it comes to politics, maybe social networking sites like Facebook should have a disclaimer. Daniel Post Senning, an etiquette expert and author has heard a number of horror stories.

[3:29] "The repercussions to offline relationships from online behavior are very real."

Cody Leckburg, a salesman, recently decided to change his online behavior for this very reason. The clean-cut father and husband  loves talking about politics but now, when it comes to social media, he's got tighter rules:

[:03] "What I decided a couple weeks ago was I'm not going to post anything that's purposefully divisive."

That's because online communication often leads to confusion and misunderstandings.

Rashid Mohammad is another political aficionado. He loves talking politics with friends across the table but online it can be a different story:

[2:47] "A lot of these people, you've got high school friends, you've got all kinds of people you may not even talk to all the time. When it's an election cycle and we're talking you hear everything I'm thinking, you get the detail. If it's on Facebook you just see the 'like.' It's an issue."

Nuance is lost because people can't see facial expressions, gestures or hear tone of voice. So experts like Senning suggest picking up the phone or resolving, in person, any issues, disagreements or bad feelings that start from political discussions online.

Editor's Note: Listen to the complete story above and join the conversation below.

Posted by
Filed under: Politics • Stories • Technology
  1. downloadul.to

download files hosted on netload.in

October 25, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  2. internetexplorersupport

Hi this is great post about How To Change Your Name On Facebook and people really benefit for this.

October 19, 2012 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. Deja Vu

This is starting to look like my facebook wall.

October 18, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. pburd

It seems many do not know how to control what is posted on their FB page. My FB is a social gathering place and if you can't be social you don't appear on my page. The internet is loaded with comments similar to what is being said here. Why would I want this vitriol, hatred and ignorance in a social environment?

October 18, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  5. Steve

The problem with facebook communication is that you're allowed to blatantly lie, and the lie spreads like wildfire. Next thing you know you've got millions of people who really think Obama didn't salute the flag, when in actuality it was a snapshot of him getting on stage during the playing of "Hail to the Chief".

October 18, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Bugl3t

True, I've experienced this myself. An otherwise intelligent person tried to show me a photo from an email they received showing Barack and Michelle saluting the flag with the "wrong" hand... telling me she could see their rings so she knew that it was real.... but as a digital graphics/web specialist, I can tell that it's photoshop 101. The hands weren't even different, whomever did the work used the same hand for both of them!
      Pathetic!

October 18, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sailor101

I have had to delete a few people recently because of this. I 100% agree with peoples right to choose who to vote for and their support of their choice. My problem is with the out right VILE comments that people throw at people who have chose to vote for the other guy. It is down right vicious. My suppossed "friends" are attacking myself or others who are going to vote for the other guy I have even seen friends of friends gang up on people they don't even know. I have seen this happening from both sides of the spectrums but it is more prevelant from the Democarates just out and out abusing, snide remarks and extreamly vicious name calling and threats directed to those who are voting Republican. I have noticed this trend over the past few elections getting more and more violent. The same goes for the Gay Lifestyle Issue...absolutely vile conduct by both sides.

October 18, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

To Sailor101. I agree. I remember discussions about who or what the candidates were for or against and the debates resolving around those issues where limited to maybe a month or two before the elections. Once the election was over, everyone was like 'ok, we chose, now let's get to work on our country'. I don't see that anymore. It's a vitriol of espousing one's opinion to the bitter end - year over year. It's mind-numbing. I for one, am tired of it.

October 18, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Crangel

Republicans are just as overbearing and down right rude, even violent. Republican candidate for president believes he is entitled to demonstrate disrespect for President Obama; he forgets that he is the President of the USA, period. And let's not forget the violent behavior of the drive-by shooting in Colorado of the Obama Headquarters. Let's call a spade a spade. Obama 2012!

October 18, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Sailor101

You are correct! I did state that it was being done by both sides. Thank you for your comment.

October 18, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mary Sweeney

What does Cody Leckburg mean when he says: ""What I decided a couple weeks ago was I'm not going to post anything that's purposefully decisive." Is he aiming for being 'indecisive"? Did he mean to say "divisive"? In composing the article did the author actually read what Cody said? One would think so if she chose to cite it. Were I Emma, I would have followed Senning's advice and contacted Cody for further clarification. Yes, indeed..."...online communication often leads to confusion and misunderstandings".

It could be that "decisive" is a typo and that my uncertainty would be resolved by listening to the audio. Right now, however, my headset is not operative and I must rely on the written word.

October 18, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • bordeauxe

It's a typo I'm afraid. Making a change now. Thanks for pointing that out.

October 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. squishy

I decided to check FB before I went to bed after the last debate. My neighbor went on and on and on praising the candidate she is for and bashing the candidate the she is against. It was like, enough already! We get the point. Sadly, my silence is taken that I support the candidate she is against. Which is not the case but I am not strongly in favor of the candidate she is for. I do not discuss politics nor religion on FB. It always offends someone. Keep it simple on FB. Voice your political opinions elsewhere. Best thing you can do, vote for your candidate. You can yell, stomp your feet and carry on all you want but in the end it is your vote.

October 18, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Bugl3t

I post news articles with my own opinion as the intro comment, mostly to contradict publicly stated lies (Fact Checks). I know folks who will vote and don't even know the positions of the candidates... somebody on fox or the NRA told them to vote OUT Obama. Nevermind that RMoney didn't even know that the assault weapon ban expired in 2004...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just not their own FACTS. (Daniel Patrick Moynihan)

October 18, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JosephS

It's my page, I can post what I want. Since when did we have to censor our beliefs and political stances? What happened to freedom of speech? Unless I'm posting the same dribble several times a day, it really shows how small the other person is for removing me. Fortunately, I don't just add anybody who asks to be on my friends list, so I am pretty confident that my friends are made up of people with either similar beliefs or actual "real life" friends or family – so it's really a non-issue for some of us.

October 18, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • open mind is value added

People who surround themselves with only like minded people do not have much access to growth.

October 18, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. JR

What is the big deal? You can scroll right past ANY post you don't like or just don't want to see. Much ado about nothing. I scroll past post that are uninteresting to me all the time. Fashion, music, where someone is eating...do we have Posting Police now? Just scroll by and get over it!!

October 18, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. Michael Sawyer

I have an amazing group of friends. Some of us, like me, never "turn off and shut down" so to speak, and some of my friends never "turn on" so to speak. AND THAT IS OK!

I love and support Obama, and post things about my support for him. My conservative christian friends usually ignore those posts. I pretty much always ignore the pro Romney posts of my friends. Some of my friends like to post prayers. I do not understand the point of praying on facebook, but to each their own, I ignore those posts and leave them be. Some of my friends are incapable of talking about anything but their children and being a parent. Meh, not my thing, I tend to but out and leave them be.

Having derpina friends is fine so long as everyone is respectful of discourse. But if your friends start having issues and hissy fits at the posts that make them mad instead of just ignoring them, then that is THEIR problem and immaturity. Now if you are bombarding them with private messages about your opinion, well then yes, you need to step back and chill.

Recently me and some friends were discussing the pros and cons of something (the topic escapes me now), and another of my friends barged into the conversation and exclaimed that they thought the topic ITSELF was stupid. To which I simply replied "then why are you in my post at all? If you do not like the topic, get out of the post and go read another". When you read facebook commentary, you are neither forced to read a thread or required to pipe in on it.

October 18, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Go back to work

That was painfully long. I hit the "eject" button after the 1st paragraph.

October 18, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. Norm

I can't help but notice the complete absence of any Democratic propaganda....anywhere.
    It's basically the uneducated, juvenile GOP garbage you see littering FaceBook and the web and e-mails.
    I wonder why its so one sided.
    LOL.....

October 18, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • JosephS

You clearly aren't looking very hard

October 18, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Phil

Norms comment is precisely the reason this columns content be heeded by all.

Thanks Norm

October 18, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
      • pburd

Norm, you took this bipartisan discussion right into the political cesspool. Congratulations!

October 18, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. chris

I turned everyone's news feed off until after the election because of the political banter.

October 18, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  14. Norm

Keep religion and politics off of Face Book or you get de-friended.
    Pretty simple.

October 18, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  15. Phil

I post just because I'm one of the few democrats in my very large family, so I just do it to get everyone riled up. We all go at each others throats, but we all know that it's all in good fun, and at the end of the day, we don't let it affect our relationships.

October 18, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  16. Drobat

Post what you want on fb, it's your personal interest page. If people don't like it, they can stop following you. If they stop being your friend offline, they weren't your friend in the first place. F*ck em.

October 18, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Norm

LOL.........I bet you have a lot of friends.

October 18, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
      • pburd

Norm, you are all over this comment section posting nothing anyone with an ounce of decorum wants to read. Most would call that trolling.

October 18, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • JosephS

"So your take is that you can do and say anything you want , no matter how much it offends or makes your friends uncomfortable and if they don't like it then F–kem?"

- Last I checked that was pretty much the definition of free speech.

October 18, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • lovelazer

I agree, if people don't like it they don't have to read it. Scroll past it or stop following the person.

Freedom of speech folks

October 18, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  17. MnClayShooter

I question many times if my very diverse (truly diverse) group of "friends" online post political rhetoric or amateur punditry because they are trying to convince themselves that they actually believe what they claim to believe. I know for a fact their posts have no impact on what I believe.

I can say this about my group of friends... those that seem most vocal and most negative towards the other candidate appear to be all from one "camp". By virtue of the tone and frequency of the posts, I'd say that they either have the most amount of useless time on their hands, or they're truly nervous that their "favorite" candidate will lose. The funny thing about it... they post negative spin about the other candidate but never actually say anything good about the one they supposedly support. Funny how that works.

One fact remains clear. Neither of the major candidates for President can EVER IN A BILLION YEARS deliver on what they're promising. You have to decide which of them represents YOU the best, as opposed to you voting so the other candidate does not win. If you vote for one of them because they will help someone you know or because they'll promise to ease your guilt about having something that others do not, then you are not voting for someone that represents YOU. This is a representative democratic republic. In order for it to work, you need to vote for who represents YOUR personal or immediate family's needs the best. If you don't, you have no basis for a complaint that OUR collective government does not work for YOU.

October 18, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Drobat

"you need to vote for who represents YOUR personal or immediate family's needs the best"

Really broad thinking. I guess some people can think beyond our own personal self interest, and some can't.

October 18, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  18. Drew Smith

Yes, Facebok should be reserved for the trivial, the mindless nonsense, the frivolous idiocy of which we just cannot get enough. My "ultimate dislike" is "reality show" mentality. Political decisions are important, policy-making affects our lives and we should use whatever avenues we have available to speak our minds. If someone is offended, then that is just too bad!

October 18, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Norm

"If someone is offended then too bad"

Spoken like a true Republican Conservative Christian Family Values Right Wing Tea Party Fanatic Extremist.

October 18, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
      • JosephS

Guess we know NORM is a communist, hippy-loving, child murdering left-wing psychopath extremist.

October 18, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Phil

Well stated Drew. That Norm, is called a responsible position. It should be adhered to by both sides of the aisle.

October 18, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • bordeauxe

Drew, I know what you mean. I think it's pretty cool that Facebook has turned, in some cases, into a forum for serious debate. What kind of things do you like to discuss online?

October 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Ken

MISPRINT: the first guy said "divisive," not "decisive." CNN you really need to get it together.

October 18, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • bordeauxe

Thanks, Ken. Another commenter pointed that out and I've made the change. That's one of the many things I love about instant feedback!

October 24, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  20. GrowUp

@Barry–I'll get I pay more taxes in a year than you make in 10 years. You wannabe wealthies who have swallowed the GOP BS are really pathetic.

October 18, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
    • GrowUp

"bet"

October 18, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Norm

These people are GOPher zombies.
      Somehow they got the idea in their empty heads that if they support the party of the rich, it puts them in the class.
      Meanwhile, Romney and all his corporate buddies are laughing at them behind their backs.

October 18, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  21. GrowUp

The Tea Party is not patriotic. Far from it. They do not want to pay their fair share of taxes for the privilege of living in this country and benefiting from all it has to offer. Is it perfect–no. Is it better than most–yes. That does not come free. If you don't want to pay your fair share, go live in a country like Somalia and see how you like no taxes, no government regulation and no accountability to your fellow countrymen. You are not patriots. You are parasites and deserters of your country.

October 18, 2012 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Ztom

The Tea Party originally had some good ideas. Their problem was that they became co-opted by the Koch Brothers, Fox, and the GOP. They then abandoned many of their ideas, and now are being manipulated into advocating corporate socialism.

They should have never joined in with the GOP. Instead, they should have split into another party.

In fact, I'd like to see both the Dem and GOP split into 2 or more parties. The current 2-party system forces many thinking people to vote for a party that they only really partially support.

October 18, 2012 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
    • BarrySotero

Eventually you run out of other people's money. And those that have money don't need to stay in the U.S., but you need their money for handouts, so the more you take , the less that stay and the less money you have.

October 18, 2012 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
      • truth

Barry, I don't take govt handouts. I make six figures. College educated, etc. Would you be surprised to know I'm an Independent who supports Obama? I have voted for Reps and Dems during my life and don't allow myself to get caught up in polarized politics. Just curious if you're willing to throw me under the bus too. It's as if anyone who supports Obama is getting a handout. Not so.

October 18, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  22. Vickie

I guess it depends on your circle of friends on FB. I have a circle that's devoted to the online game I play and only deals with that. I have a circle of everyone else and my circle of friends, we love discussing politics. And if someone doesn't like who I am, who I support and the issues I feel passionate about, they are free to defriend me. I don't believe in talking in an echo chamber. But mutual support is important too.

October 18, 2012 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Just jabbin'

Circles are on Google Plus... not facebook. LOL... just pokin' a little fun, don't read too much into it.

October 18, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  23. LouisianaPatriot

Sorry Emma Lacey-Bordeaux, the reason that we are in this sorry state of affairs, is because PROGRESSIVE PUBLIC SCHOOL education taught generations, since the 1960s, to not talk about politics. When they should have been teaching us how to guard our Liberty. I am one of the 41 million Tea Party-minded people who now regularly talks about politics, as our Founders and our first few generations of Americans did.

October 18, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • scott

Yes you Tea Partiers talk, and talk, and talk about politics, but with a knowledge base of virtually zero: Keep government's hands off of my Medicare, global warming is a hoax, Obama is a Muslim socialist not born in the U.S., and a thousand other fantasies– the stupidities go on and on. Do us all a favor and stop talking until you have something intelligent to say.

October 18, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
      • BarrySotero

And Scott your one sided liberal anger screams keep the spending train going. Eventually the bill must be paid and what then? You going to pay with "hope and change"? Maybe just borrow to pay the bill, right? But what bout when no one approves you? Then it's welcome to Greece. Your ignorance and arrogance astound me.

October 18, 2012 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
        • truth

Barry, I agree we need to be concerned about debt/deficit. What I don't agree is that it's one party's fault. Both parties are part of the problem and have created the mess we're in today. Just look at the deficit when Presidents leave office... it's not just one party. The polarization of politics is ruining our country.

October 18, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
      • TD

I doubt you get out much. Time to change the channel, too.

October 18, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
      • LouisianaPatriot

So Scott, what are you doing to protect your Liberty, and the Liberty and future of your children and grandchildren?

October 19, 2012 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
    • scb

Talking about politics is one thing, but Tea Partiers don't discuss politics, they spread unfounded rumors and hate speech. I disliked George W. Bush as much as any politician in recent memory, but on my worst day I wouldn't spread the kind of filth that Tea Partiers spew. Show some espect for the office, please. No exceptions.

October 18, 2012 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
      • Go back to work

Thanks for that, Mr. Thought Police Officer...

October 18, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
        • truth

You basically just confirmed @scb's point. He tries to say something about treating all Presidents with dignity and look at how you respond.

October 18, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
      • pburd

SCB, you are the poster child for the subject of this article.

October 18, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
      • LouisianaPatriot

Hi SCB. Can you give me an example of something that a Tea Partier has said which is not based on some type of truth and fact?

October 19, 2012 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Ztom

Yes. It's all the fault of "progressive public schools". It's not at all possible that there are other factors that affect our country.

October 18, 2012 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
      • LouisianaPatriot

Hi Ztom, Yes, there are quite a few other factors... thank you for asking!

A concerted, planned effort on the part of hard Left Communists to destroy the fabric of our society. Teaching our kids and people through film and television that a chaotic, drug induced life is somehow "cool", that having two parents in the household is somehow "not important", that divorce is to be expected, that living a principled life is "stupid" and that every young girl should be embarrassed if she has done done "it" by 12 years old.

Teachers who teach that America is a horrible country, white people are horrible, that white people hate black people, that our Founders (who crafted an incredible form of government) were nothing but Athiest slave-owning rich old white men.

Can you imagine that any adult would teach children that other people hated them? That is so sick, there is not even an adjective strong enough to describe it.

And please don't think that I am just reciting rhetoric from the "Right". I am reciting my own personal experiences in the Orleans Parish Public School system from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s.

Parents have one opportunity to prepare their children for a successful adult life, successful jobs, successful relationships and future parenthood themselves. That one opportunity is called their Childhood. Parents have no idea what kind of war they are fighting for the minds of their children.

October 19, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  24. GrowUp

I judge my friends by their core values. If they are contrary to mine, I no longer care to be friends with them. Simple as that. Not PC maybe, but honest.

October 18, 2012 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • scott

And if your core values have nothing to do with the real world, no matter, you can volunteer for the Romney campaign. (Don't expect him to pay you.)

October 18, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
    • GrowUp

Very true. Romney has no core values other than to become President.

October 18, 2012 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
      • BarrySotero

And Obama has no other core values than to keep spending and hanging with celebrities in hopes that being well liked will suffice fire election.. Name one thing with a budget that he personally managed prior to his Presidency. Go on I'll wait....

October 18, 2012 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
        • truth

Go ahead Barry and call out Obama for his spending. But please be honest and mention Bush's spending record. If it's wrong to overspend, then it's wrong to overspend no matter who does it.

October 18, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • bordeauxe

Really? What kind of core values? Do you ever tell people that's why you're no longer friends?

October 24, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Marcus

Politics and religion, FB would be so much more enjoyable with the removal of both. I'm happy my friends found god, but I don't need to be preached too and I'm okay with my friends voting for the other guy, but I don't need to be told how great he is when I believe he isn't. Some political discussion is good, but it just gets frustrating when they tell me the lies and I point to the fact checking sites and they still buy the fiction.

October 18, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Sounds like we have the same friends.

October 18, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
      • bordeauxe

I've been surprised by how much this has resonated. A lot of people I spoke with had concrete rules about what they'd say on FB. Rules that definitely don't apply IRL.

October 24, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Buckhippo

I like that I don't have a facebook account.

October 17, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • not a fan

If people enjoy Facebook, more power to them. I think Facebook sucks. It should be called "look at me" or "Narcissm Book".

October 18, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  27. Timothy

"I'm not going to post anything that's purposefully decisive" You wouldn't want anything decisive to get onto Facebook. Stick to ambiguities, it;s what social media is for.

October 17, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  28. dc

I get enough enjoyment reading posts on CNN and yahoo who needs facebook. Lol

October 17, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  29. David Feldman

The regime which in Chomsky's words "manufactures consent" would prefer its semi-official organs to remain the anchor of all political discourse. On Facebook ordinary people hear ordinary people having there say, and slowly, ideas will start to ferment and then live away from corporate control. This puff piece would use shame to discourage democratic discourse. But the genii is out of the bottle.

October 17, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark Zuckerberg

If you think Facebook is an open forum free of corporate interests, I have some stock I'd like to sell you.

October 18, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
      • Go back to work

Hahaha. That hit me right.
        PS: Your stock sucks; I couldn't be happier for all the fools who invested in it.

October 18, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  30. Ambrose Smith

@ Sue. You even bring up politics on this board. I suspect you can't control yourself. Speaking politics and religion can be dangerous.

October 17, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sue

@Ambrose, CNN brought up politics and FB, I commented.

October 17, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Sue

I disagree with your premise: Too many people are afraid to reveal how they feel about politics, religion and other things...I don't care if your dog looks cute, or if you just ate a 1 lb steak...thats drivel. I love politics (the importaqnt stuff) on facebook, people of like beliefs connect. Then you find out that most everyone else on your page feels the same way. BTW, you should have seen the posts flying after Candy Crowley called Mitt Romney on his statement about Benghazi being described by the President as NOT terrorist for 2 weeks! You really ought to consider reassigning her to the mail room!

October 17, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • john

Ms. Crowely was doing Mitt a favor, before he completely humiliated himself (but maybe a little too late). Facts are pesky things. But anyway, I don't quite get the point of this Libya fixation, other than an attempt to make some sort of political points over what? Another paranoid wild goose chase? It's a little crazy.

October 17, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Brian

Spot on. Romney was going after the President on that issue, practically calling him a liar on in front of millions of viewers. He's still the President, the office does mean something to alot of folks in this country. Romney has the mindset of a CEO; he's never wrong and not used to people challenging him. Romney's an ass, does not have the temperment for the post. And one other thing; he doesn't like most people. Not exactly a qualifier for the job.

October 18, 2012 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  32. steven

Exactly, that's why I use http://www.solitical.com, because that's what it's for. FB is good for general everyday stuff, but not generally in depth, thought provoking or intense conversation.

October 17, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

Exactly. I use Facebook updates to let everyone know how I am doing, or what I am doing at the time (if something special is going on). I do not use them to let people know what I believe or who I want to vote for, mainly because I don't care about my friends' beliefs or politics (and I am pretty sure they don't care about mine). Just a couple more things we don't have disagreements over, in the long run.

October 18, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 107 other followers