African-American blazing a trail through chess
At a small chess tournament in New York this week, 17 Rochelle Ballantyne moved closer to her goal of becoming the first female African-American chess master in history.
October 26th, 2012

African-American blazing a trail through chess

By Steve Kastenbaum, CNN

(CNN) – Rochelle Ballantyne plays chess the same way she walks through the streets of New York, determined to reach her goal without letting any obstacles slow her down.

The 17 year old from Brooklyn is just a few wins away from becoming the first female African-American to attain the ranking of chess master.

[:47] "I've never been the first anything so having that title next to my name is going to... it's going to feel amazing."

She crushes her opponents in a sport dominated by men.

Schools of Thought: 'Brooklyn Castle' students seek solutions 'for every problem on the chessboard'

Ballantyne grew up in a single parent home in the working class neighborhood of East Flatbush. She first learned to play chess from her grandmother, who didn't want that background to limit or prevent her from reaching her fullest potential. Ballantyne did not disappoint.

[2:47] "When I push myself, then nothing can stop me."

When it came time for middle school she wound up at I.S. 318, an inner-city public school that is home to the best chess team in the entire United States. Assistant Principal John Galvin oversees the chess program.

[4:53] "Rochelle was one of our best players that we've ever had in our school. She won several individual national championships."

Her time at the middle school is featured in Brooklyn Castle, a documentary about the chess team released earlier this week.

It's made her a rising star in the world of chess.

Editor's Note: Listen to the complete story in the player above.

soundoff (1,025 Responses)
  1. TC

I agree with you. Tons of racist white people out there who think that they are better than the other races. So immature!
    It takes time for the majority of the "mainstream: population to grow up and think and behave beyond 'skin color'.

Kudos to that awesome young girl to earn her Chess Master status!! So proud of her!! :)

October 28, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. skastenbaumcnn

Reposting my earlier comment:
    I am Steve Kastenbaum, the reporter who put this story together. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at some of the hateful, disrespectful and offensive comments that have appeared in this section today. Sometimes comments sections like this bring out the worst in people. Rochelle is a an extremely smart, inspirational, talented young woman. I have every reason to believe that she will accomplish anything she puts her mind to in life despite the racist and sexist people like those who have used the cloak of anonymity to hurl the most disgusting insults at a 17 year old girl, people who would no doubt try to stand in her way. Those people are sorry individuals. I'm only buoyed by the fact that the majority of people commenting here praised Rochelle and chastised the loathsome individuals for taking pot shots at a wonderful teenage girl. I would also add that seeing how many people listened to the story vs. how many commented, I know that the overwhelming majority of people out there are inspired by your tale, Rochelle, and are 100% in your corner. Your story brought a smile to so many people's faces. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to bring your tale to them.

October 28, 2012 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
    • David M

Perhaps what Steve Kastenbaum should be more concerned about is his integrity as a journalist.

This is an misleading article, of the type popping up too frequently on CNN these days, where the achievements of blacks are exaggerated out of all proportion. This isn't news, it's propaganda. The World Chess Federation website ranks her below two thousand players on a national level, and below thirty nine thousand internationally.

And this is 'trail blazing'?

October 28, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

The best part is how this story says it's about a woman playing chess which is a mans game but when you point out that there are a ton of woman with better scores then her he says they don't count because they arn't black.

October 28, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JUNJUN

Whatever person of another color looks at this YOUNG LADY and feels a bit of distaste and bitterness for her, need to remember SHE CAN PROBABLY BEAT YOUR ASS at the Chess game and will probably make millions off of it. She is blazing the trail in chess a WHITE DOMINATED head game just like Tiger Woods did in GOLF which proves that WATSON was DEAD WRONG when he said Blacks were less competitive and less STRUCTURED than whites. she is proving this and Im glad she is.

October 28, 2012 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  4. JUNJUN

October 28, 2012 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. 3rdEyeOpened

Then I guess that makes you one of them then. Your posts definitely reflects that.

October 28, 2012 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. 3rdEyeOpened

Not even close to the truth. You should ask yourself how much it's stinging your @ss because you are the one butt-hurt over the fact that this girl is much more smarter than you are.

October 28, 2012 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ginger

Congratulations and keep up the great work!

October 28, 2012 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. whats up with all the racists comments

why cant you all be happy we have an upcoming chess master as dumb as this country is getting im not surprised any more we are going back to the stone age and i am sry im a white guy having to deal with all you cave men im proud she is representing us and will become the first african female master even though we shouldnt treat her as a leesor human i will say congrats master

October 28, 2012 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. vrim

Beautiful young lady. Great story. Congratulations, Rochelle. I hope you achieve your goal.

October 28, 2012 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
    • whats up with all the racists comments

congrats master rochelle as we all see youl see your journey through

October 28, 2012 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  10. JUGGERNAUT

PEOPLE........DO NOT BOTHER WITH THE WHITE SUPREMACIST on this blogs. they are all little girls who hide behind computer blogs and spew their stupidity.....none of them got the B***$$ to go out and repeat these same things in public

you should only feel sorry for these cowards, LMAO

October 28, 2012 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. The truth

I am intimidated by blacks, so i hide behind internet blogs and spew my racist rants

October 28, 2012 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. Truth

I'm obviously a troll and a complete idiot. Please disregard all my posts.

October 28, 2012 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  13. Robert

This is dumb, why can't it just be a young girl, a young smart girl, a girl from humble beginnings, why do we have to concentrate on race. This is dumb.

October 28, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • guygardner

You sir, are an ass.

October 28, 2012 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • ferroxian

Hey, she is a young girl...if she made race an issue, her youth might explain it. But what about your friend and kinsman, Governor Sununu! (Oh you love and understand him I am sure!) He made race an issue, yesterday, just because Colin Powell expressed his vision and right to speak. Look Colin Powell and Mr. Obama ARE successful Black men. Colin Powell led our forces to victory in the desert Storm Conflict back in 1991 – a brilliant campaign. Sununu called out both of them for being Black not for seeing issues and addressing them. Stop acting like race in America should be a dead issue when people in Governorships who ran the lives of millions are still carrying cards that say, " I am a bigot." Face it and face reality. As long as black people have color in their skins, they will have to fight whites who hold power and evil within!

October 28, 2012 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. Just some guy

It is awesome to see you folks enjoying chess!!

I had so much fun as a child learning chess, it is a great way for different generations to get to interact. I learned so much from others that I would never have met due to chess. I hope that this fine young woman continues to learn and enjoy the game. I loved this story!!

October 28, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tex

I don't care if she's black or white or even if she's male or female. The big story to me is that she's only 17 and already has her big goals in mind and isn't afraid to go after them. I wish I had that kind of determination and drive when I was 17. Rochelle rocks!!!!!!!!!! Best wishes to you and make us all proud!!

October 28, 2012 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • JustSayn

If the article would have been presented the way you did, the story wouldn't have all this hate in the comment section. Instead, innocently or not, the race card had to be brought in. Afterall, that's what sells. Unity rarely sells, instead, something devisive of our times must be brought to to forefront. This in the end, is what splitting this nation apart, but it sells. The media is doing a good job in this area, examples are: race, sexual orientation, religion, social ladders, etc. What isn't being reported is the wholesale of a nation, and who is doing it. Those issues are too important, it's better to keep us distracted other ways while all our pockets are being picked.

October 28, 2012 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
      • uckermanf

I'm sorry, but that is complete BULLSH-T. The only way these idiotic racists wouldn't be here spouting their crap is if the article made no comment about her race AND it showed no picture of her. Why the hell should we not be able to see a picture of her? White kids do stuff that is considered noteworthy, and nobody suggests that there shouldn't be a photograph of them.

This racism is a DIRECT REFLECTION of the abject worthlessness of America. Americans should be ashamed that this is allowed to happen. The view of America is being controlled by coward nutcases who insist on perpetuating hate. There is absolutely no reason why this stuff should be allowed. It should be shouted down and snuffed out by reasonable, intelligent people. CNN should provide a mechanism by which people can vote away such comments. If these idiots can exercise their freedom of speech rights and spread such ugliness, the rest of us should be able to silence it if we don't approve of it.

October 28, 2012 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
  16. Todd

Current female Grandmasters are all either from Eastern Europe (Slavic) or China. Either way, they are all Asians. Barely any white women too. So not surprised she is the first African American. I don't know if she is the first black woman? There are many African competitors at chess championships, but the best are Russian or Chinese. High IQ is what is required for chess.

October 27, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • SD

There are two Indian chess grandmasters who are women, Koneru and Harika. Harika is 20 years old. And the world chess champion for men is an Indian - Anand.

October 28, 2012 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  17. ChessMaster

Sticking for a moment to the subject of, um, chess. If she keeps at it and eventually makes Grandmaster, she will not only be the first African-American woman to make it, but the first native American woman of any race to do so. That includes "white."

October 27, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  18. skastenbaumcnn

October 27, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • skastenbaumcnn

I would also add that those hateful, offensive comments show exactly why we need to single out people like Rochelle whenever possible for overcoming obstacles and achieving greatness.

October 27, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dave

That's kinda funny coming from the one that thought it was "BIG NEWS" that someone who was black was playing chess..

October 27, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
        • Dave

Also if you look it up they have a few white girls with better scores and a ton of girls from china and japan with better scores then her yet no news coverage.....

October 27, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
        • Come on

There is a clear socioeconomic gap between white and black people in this country. Obviously part of that comes from black people partaking less in intellectual endeavors such as chess. She is breaking through that. It's awesome. You can kill your "why aren't they talking about the white girls?" rhetoric. You know why. *shakes head

October 27, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tina

It is rare to see a writer of a news story show up in the comments section. I applaud you for taking on the ignorance displayed here. As a writer for a very popular news outlet, you have the power to create positive stories that highlight the greatness of our differences and show stories of overcoming adversity; something we all can always learn more about regardless of how we are. I really hope that you take this power seriously and that I continue seeing thoughtful stories like this from you. Great job!

October 27, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
        • Tina

In my haste to thank the writer for standing up for Rochelle, I forgot to address the gem of this story. Rochelle, you are a true inspiration and your story brought a smile to my face. Forget these hateful comments. They are being made by a bunch of adults who are no better than a group of high school bullies. Nothing that is worth having comes easy.

October 27, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
        • skastenbaumcnn

@Tina – Thank you!

October 27, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • JustSayn

It's ashame you looked so hard to find someone that is top in their race, yet so far behind all others. You should feel so proud. It is pointing out the high level of low achievement that makes one question your writing of this story; kind of like a back-handed complement. What is next, a gay black ambidextrous female? Rochelle has worked hard to get where she is, but it would be nothing special for another race to do it. You must feel so proud! Afterall, you were not talking just about her, you were comparing her to an entire race. I haven't got an exact definition of bigotry, but it has become much clearer since this story.

October 27, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
        • skastenbaumcnn

@JustSayn – She's just 17! Who knows how far she is going to go? That would be like saying a sports writer shouldn't write great things about baseball's Rookie of the Year because there are so many other better players out there. Sorry, but I have to say your comment is silly.

October 27, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • babydoc

Mr. Kastenbaum are these the first comments you have read to an Internet article? If you look almost every article is followed by ugly, angry and racist comments. Anonymity has a really scary aspect.

October 27, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Denverdriver

Thanks, Mr. Kastenbaum, for a beautiful, well-written story about a great young lady who is achieving great things. Most of the cowardly critics who are hiding behind their masks of anonymity probably would not be able to win a game of solitaire, playing against themselves.

October 28, 2012 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Amen

Please don't be discouraged Steve. You can't hold everyone to the same moral standard. It will drive you insane. Those that are terrible will remain terrible. Great article, great story. Most would agree.

October 27, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karen Cook

I am glad to see a young woman of such determination who has the skill to become a master in her chosen avocation. Chess requires intelligence, logic and planning...and dummies [like the jealous racist commentators here, obviously] don't play chess. Go Rochelle!

October 27, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arafat Khaskheli

I read articles on CNN all the time and it never fails. There are always people on here with negative comments that often cross boundaries. I am so glad you did this story. It is so god to read something so positive when there is a great deal of hatred floating around in this world. For those with the positive comments, please keep them coming.

October 28, 2012 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • TapDancer

Steve, I applaud you for standing up to the hateful comments on this post. However, I got to say the CNN threads have become something of an attraction to this sort of comments whenever a story is about a black person, positive or negative. And it seems that moderators don't care as long as they get hundreds of comments, many of which are off-topic. Perhaps it speaks to a larger problem with CNN threads: lack of moderation. As a black man (I live in Canada though) I find it appalling that these unfortunate comments have come to characterize CNN threads and are allowed to go on by CNN moderators. Rochelle's story should be an inspiration to many young girls regardless of what they look like, and should praised as such.

October 28, 2012 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

The problem as I see it lies in your writing to fit a narrative. Would you go so far out of your way to spotlight a Chinese girl who, while great amongst the population as a whole, is average among her peers? Tip for next time: if you need to showcase the person's race then don't bother.

October 28, 2012 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
    • PunchInTheFace

Remember something.... the percentage of negative commenters here are not proportionate to their percentage in the general populace. Comment boards typically attract those who cannot say the things they want to but can't in polite public. Rest assured the majority of us applaud this talented young woman and wish her the best in her endeavors. The rest.... well, they are forced to live with who they are, and honestly, that is justice enough.

October 28, 2012 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
    • uckermanf

Mr. Kastenbaum, why can't CNN institute SOME kind of mechanism by which other posters can nullify the effect of such ugly posts? This is a problem for just about EVERY news article that has a comments section. It is guaranteed if there is any person of color. You guys could help us silence these nutcases by giving us the ability to vote certain comments down such that they don't even appear. I've seen this on other sites, so there is absolutely nothing that should stop CNN from being able to do this. Flagging posts does nothing. Let us vote down posts such that they don't show or get deleted if they get too many negative posts.

October 28, 2012 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
  19. CBass

Her FIDE rating is 1949 (out of a possible 3000). She has a quite a ways to go to become a master. Good story about a high achieving 17 year old girl, but I could do without the hyperbole.

October 27, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • ChessMaster

Master rating is around 2200. She is actually very close. No one gets 3000, it's a theoretical maximum. The current best are in the 2800's.

October 27, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rob

There is no theoretical maximum. Computer engines these days are routinely above 3000.

1900 is definitely a looonnngggg way from 2200 as far as playing strength is concerned. I am currently about 2100 and that 100 points is definitely quite large. This is not saying that this girl playing at a high Class A strength and being close to expert is not impressive, because it is, but she is a long ways from becoming a master.

October 27, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Be Intelligent

Sista is not spelled sista, it is Sister. If you are going to post something, white or black, green, yellow, brown, or whatever, at least spell correctly and use appropriate grammar. English is English regardless of who's mouth it is coming out of.

Congratulations Rochelle, I hope you achieve becoming a Chess Master. It is a noble title to hold in a society of such ignorant people.

October 27, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Whelan

Don't be rude to people just because they choose not to use standard English.

October 27, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Peter Robinson

To me, the proper use of English is a measure of intelligence!. My vocabulary is about 30,000 words. I am very careful to adjust the words I use to my perception of the level of ability of my listener. Some people use big words as an intellectual put down of the listener. I find that very offensive.

A year ago, I played chess with a 6 year old Russian boy who regularly plays chess with older boys. I had not played chess in 60 years. I was determined to take his queen. I made several stupid moves and Andre became overconfident. When I took his queen, he refused to continue playing with me. I am certain that if I play again with Andre.. he will watch my strategy and I will certainly lose the game.

October 28, 2012 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
    • sipsen

Yes. English is English except when you use who's when you mean whose.

October 27, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erik H

Whose.

October 27, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denverdriver

Whose!

October 28, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  21. Down&OutInPhilly

So good to see the sista makin it. Hate to see her with all them white guys. I could teach her how to get a head.

October 27, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Universal Observer

Every species of creature of it's kind glorifies the creation of mankind's universe, like the colors of the rainbow, Disney's small world after all. It is the pride and honor of man to be a part of this collection of beauty, without which there can be no exclusion of any type. This is inherent in the vast amount of species which equate to the need for all types of people for any one type to exist. Just like everything else. It is amazing that living in the human body observes the diverse beauty of all of nature which includes human kind. This is not an opinion but a fact.

October 27, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • What?

I'm angry at myself for reading this stilted pile of nonsense. I respectfully request 30 seconds of my life back.

October 27, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jim

Eric, if you display anything close to intelligence, I am sure there will be a movie about you as well.

October 27, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Amused

You people are letting random individuals get you worked up over nothing lol I applaud this girls chess playing abilities and happy that she is doing something positive. Racist will always be around and frankly those posting those comments have the right to feel however they want. They find comfort behind there computer because in real life they wouldnt dare come out and say it to someones face. have a good day folks.

October 27, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Old&Tired

rochelle didnt as for this negativities bein spread. for raccism to continu it takes effort and much thought by clever people. all kinda negative stuff is published about us black folks. for example se's the first at bein last. theys tals about us on welfare and crime and getin our ladis pregant outside a marriage. wes got enough problems without folks in the media fannin the flames wors. the white folks are tired of all the racil divission likes we are. i hopes we find better ways to get along. rochelle, you maybe born from dirt but others are dirty. shame on high powwered folks for keeping racil tension alive.

October 27, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. stop being surprised

I think I'm more frustrated at the people who are so "surprised" by these racist comments than the morons making the comments. For decades blacks have been telling you that they are dealing with racists every day. They are everywhere. Imagine being black and having these people as your teachers, lawyers, doctors, bosses, plumbers. They are cowards who make ignorant comments when they can be anonymous but they act in hidden, evil ways whenever they can. And when a black person tells you someone is racist or racism is impacting their life, what do the passive, surprised people say? You say, "oh come on, they don't mean it, it's not that bad, stop playing the race card." Well your willful ignorance and constant "surprise" is the kind of complacency that keeps racism alive. Stop being surprised and do something about racism.

October 27, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reach For The Stars

Thank you for your perspective. I'm sure it's much harder than we know, racism though goes both ways. So we all need to make a difference if we are to succeed in making this world a better place. When I was a child growing up, I lived in an all White affluent neighborhood in California. My only real exposure to the Black culture were family sitcoms on TV. I never experienced any racism living in California or in New York, it was only after I moved to Savannah for three years that I experienced it for the first time. My husband and I purposely moved into a predominantly Black neighborhood because we were curious to see what it would be like. On the down side we were spit at by some of the older teenagers which really surprised and hurt us. The majority however were respectful and nice. We also had to deal with gunshots going off like Dodge City which was definitely unnerving. The upside....all the warm and loving neighbors that we met. The friends we will never forget. It was one of the most memorable experiences of our life. My husband even found his chess equal in the maintenance man, a wonderful Black man named Mr. Green:)

October 27, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • MasterG

You're from NY and you decided to move to a black southern town as a novelty? You are a moron.

October 27, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
        • Reach For The Stars

I prefer to call it diversified:)

October 27, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gina dela

I agree.

October 27, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  27. with kids

Go Rochelle!

We are thrilled to hear about your success!!

Awesome.

Show 'em what you can do.

Ignore haters. You are not alone. We think you are fantastic!

I hope my kids can be as successful as you.

You are an inspiration.

Brilliant.

We love to hear about your success.

We celebrate with you!

Thank you for inspiring us all.

Lots of hugs.

Your grandma is awesome. You are loved.

Be proud. You have earned it.

You have done something great. You have shown that you are a hard worker, dedicated, motivated. The only way to avoid criticism is to say nothing, do nothing, and be nothing. You are something awesome.

Thank you, girl!

October 27, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Rob

To Rochelle Ballantyne:
    Please do not let any of these racist A-holes bring you down. You are in inspiration to those who matter and a threat to those who don't. I will bet that these bigots can't even spell Chess. I guess I just gave them a hint. LOL
    Keep up the good work Rochelle Ballantyne!!!!

October 27, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Fnordz

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS, PEOPLE

October 27, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Hackers coming for you!!

Got you now sucker. This is one person and we now know where you live. Prepare to be posted.
    Love Guy

October 27, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. bCooper

I am so saddened to read many of the comments listed from this article. I am extremely anti-racist and cannot understand the sheer stupidity of some people. By stupidity I mean having the ability to think but not making the attempt. I am not an intellectual in fact otherwise. so I really don't understand why people are the way they are. There is no reason for racism today! I am a believer in one race... the HUMAN RACE. Unfortunately we have let ourselves fall into the stupid thinking that there are many races. I don't believe it. there are many cultures. When I was around twenty I didn't think about race too much, I was raised that we are all equally valuable. then I was in some circumstances where I realized that my brothers and sisters who happened to have a darker shade of skin are reminded every single day that they are "black" I have assumed this holds true across this country. brother or sister let me know if this is not true. See, that is a good example. I am trying to do my part. I try to never refer to a person as black or white or whatever. I am so sick of it. When I was young (I am 45 now) I assumed all the racists would die off and the world would be a better place., instead it is looking worse. I am tired of hearing "this white man...this black man... this Asian did such and such" for crying out loud end it! I guess I could go on for hours and it is worth fighting for but I am now angry that the human race which claims to be more intelligent than ever absolutely refuses to grow up and be decent. so real peace to you all.b.cooper

October 27, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gene

Don't let the negative, hateful posts upset you. This is simply a case of the young lady's success bringing out the insecurities of the chronic losers who are spreading the hate. They haven't accomplished anything significant, and the best they can do is try to tear someone else down. Think about it–she's on her way to being a chess master, and the haters' in this thread only claim of achievement most likely will be troll master.

October 27, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |

Ha, ha, ha. Well said.

October 27, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bryan

Well said Gene!

October 27, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • ker

Gene, i like to say (and i don't think i came up with this myself) that they see being white as an accomplishment, because they have no other. the accident of being born with a particular hue of skin is no accomplishment, and is insulting to those of us who have actually accomplished things in life. it's particularly sad if it is coming from someone who has accomplished something, that they feel the need to fall back on the accident of their birth as their most shining "achievement."

as you point out, Rochelle is one of those people who is accomplishing something that matters in our world. it is kind of sad that it is the 21st century and it's still laudable that an african-american woman is becoming a master at a game that has existed for centuries (at least). our society is still pretty sick. racial hatred continues to haunt us, to consume our nation. it is ridiculous. the fact that the "default" american is still white, of european ancestry, especially of Anglo-Saxon ancestry, doesn't reflect our growing diversity. when we can stop saying "african-american," and just call anyone "american" we will have fulfilled part of the promise of the Declaration of Independence that our forefathers wanted from future generations.

but it seems that many people just want to keep tugging us backwards. that is all a part of this "take america back," as if some aliens came from outer space and usurped power. it isn't taking "america back," it is taking america BACKWARDS. the only good that i see in it, is the law of physics that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. the stronger the racists get, the more i know that the opposite, people who are accepting of diversity, are growing. we must be getting stronger if these people feel so threatened by a 17-yo girl who plays chess. i hope it eats them alive.

October 27, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • ONE4ALL

I find myself agreeing with Gene. The hate being spread in this comment section at this young gal is undeserved. She is simply doing the best she can. What a shame others are pointing out that she's the best the black population throughout history has to offer. They should be offended at the news agencies for pointing this out. We really didn't need to know this. I wish only the best for Rochelle. Unfortunately, I have nothing nice to say about these hate spreaders, be they news agencies or blogger, so I'll say nothing.

October 27, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  32. OldPrinter

About time. Maybe these "hateful" ones will be outed like that blog troll!!

October 27, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Mitt

Ha. I can't believe it took CNN this long to do something about this.

October 27, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Christy

CNN! – Monitor your damn comments page according to your own clearly worthless "Terms of Service."

Keep these racist idiots from posting this garbage. A beautiful talented girl is doing well at an amazingly difficult discipline. That's what's true here.

B) Community Guidelines. If you submit any User Content or participate in an Interactive Area within or in connection with CNN.com, you agree to abide by the following rules of conduct:

• You agree not to upload, post or otherwise transmit any User Content that violates or infringes in any way upon the rights of others, including any statements which may defame, harass, stalk or threaten others;

• You agree not to upload, post or otherwise transmit any User Content that is offensive to the online community, including blatant expressions of bigotry, racism, abusiveness, vulgarity or profanity.

• You agree not to upload, post or otherwise transmit any material that contains or advocates pornography, pedophilia, incest, bestiality, or that is otherwise obscene.

• You agree not to upload, post or otherwise transmit any User Content that violates any law or engage in activity that would constitute a criminal offense or give rise to a civil liability;

• You agree not to upload, post or otherwise transmit any User Content that advocates or provides instruction on illegal activity or discuss illegal activities with the intent to commit them;

• You agree not to upload, post or otherwise transmit, without CNN's express prior approval, User Content which contains advertising or any solicitation with respect to products or services;

• You agree not to upload, post or otherwise transmit User Content that does not generally pertain to the designated topic or theme of any Interactive Area;

• You agree not to impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, any CNN employee, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity;

• You agree not to interfere with any other user's right to privacy, including by harvesting or collecting personally-identifiable information about CNN.com users or posting private information about a third party;

• You agree not to upload, post or otherwise transmit any User Content, software or other materials which contain a virus or other harmful or disruptive component;

• You agree not to interfere with or disrupt CNN.com or the servers or networks connected to the Site, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Site;

• You agree not to upload, post, e-mail or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation;

• You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or exploit for any commercial purpose, any portion of CNN.com, use of CNN.com, or access to CNN.com;

• You agree not to upload, post, or otherwise transmit any User Content protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret, right of publicity or other proprietary right without the express permission of the owner of such copyright, trademark, trade secret, right of publicity or other proprietary right. The burden of determining that any User Content is not protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret, right of publicity or other proprietary right rests with you. You shall be solely liable for any damage resulting from any infringement of copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, rights of publicity or other proprietary rights or any other harm resulting from such a submission. Any person determined by CNN, in its sole discretion, to have violated the intellectual property or other rights of others shall be barred from submitting or posting any further material on CNN.com;

• You agree that if necessary, you have the consent of each and every identifiable natural person in any submission to use such persons name or likeness in the manner contemplated by CNN.com;

• You agree that any person who appears in your submission who is a current member of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), the American Federation of Television and Radio Actors (AFTRA) or any other rights society is not entitled to compensation by CNN.

Any conduct that in CNN’s sole discretion restricts or inhibits anyone else from using or enjoying CNN.com will not be permitted. CNN reserves the right in its sole discretion to remove or edit User Content by you and to terminate your Account for any reason. CNN is not responsible for User Content submitted to CNN.com or posted in comments sections, chat rooms, on bulletin boards or on other Interactive Areas by users of CNN.com.

October 27, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fnordz

Just because CNN has the right to monitor comments and censor postings doesn't mean it can or will always do so. Like many boards, they rely on other posters to bring attention to (flag) abusive comments.

October 27, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denverdriver

Give 'em hell, Christy!

October 28, 2012 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  35. Ari Kantal

Wow... I am truly shocked by the ignorance and offensiveness of this comment thread. Regarding the prevalence of racist thought... that really doesn't concern me; there will always be idiots. But why does CNN give them a platform for their ignorance? In any reputable forum, content is reviewed for hate-speech and relevance. But CNN seems to allow anything – regardless of how ignorant. My suggestion to all you of good heart, leave this place. Leave it to the cavemen. Nothing good can be accomplished here.

October 27, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  36. michel

Dear CNN,
    Please disable the comments. The trolls posting are so awful that it is making me detest humanity.

October 27, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Queen Mother

No, its good to see these comments. I like to see them show their true colors, these are the same white folks that smile in our faces at work and at school then go home listen to Rush Limbaugh and O'Reily then come on CNN and talk like this.
      Racism is alive and well and everyone needs to know that these people have not gone anywhere. Get your head out of the clouds.

I'm proud to see my black sista excel at Chess, I'm proud to see Rochelle stay focused, do her best and beat the white man at his own game. Learning to play Chess is important for all Africans, in this society we are conditioned to play this game: white moves first, when the black side moves its defense-offense etc.

I'd love to see her develop an interest in international politics. Keep working hard, sista queen Rochelle.

October 27, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jeffe

Queen Mother,

October 27, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jeffe

Queen Mother,
        Who is the racist when you say it's the whites who smile to your face yet do something behind your back? You are a racist just as much as the next white person!

October 27, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Nan Onnimus

It amazes and saddens me that even after reading a story like this, the majority of comments come from haters who will likely never accomplish in their lifetimes what this young lady has already done at 17. Rochelle - brava to you!

October 27, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Izoto

Great job, girl, keep it up.

Also, all the retarded and ignorant comments by asinine fools with nothing to do just make me want to throw up. God help you all . (I'm sure some pretentious atheist who knows a few big words will take a swipe at God after I post this.)

October 27, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Honestly

I am starting to think CNN actually LOVES all these racist comments. It encourages traffic on their website.

October 27, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • ALL4ONE

It's CNN who pointed out that she will be the first black lady to reach chess expert, something long ago accomplished by other races. Who do you think is race baiting Whom? There is nothing wrong with this young and beautiful lady. Instead, it is pointing out that it has taken thousands of years for a particular race to get to this lower level in chess, and they wanted to make sure we knew it was a black female.

October 27, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Honestly

I used to think CNN was sincere, but lately it seems they provide a FORUM for all these hateful racists.

October 27, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  40. CNN Moderator

We have forwarded the addresses of these blogs to the hate crimes unit at the FBI as per the regulations of this post. We apologizes for the hurtful comments posted here but are unable to limit postings that are within the boundaries of freedom of speech.

October 27, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Izoto

Lol, stop trolling. You're no Mod.

October 27, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Student

Reading these inane comments are making me nauseous. It is incomprehensible to me how primitive the minds of so many americans still are. Maybe /b is trolling– at least, that's what I hope.

October 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Samantha74521

Glad to see a black girl that isn't a loud mouthed scary thug like the ones in my high school. Just my luck, I always get the typical ghetto trash blacks in my school.

October 27, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Honestly

you sound pretty trashy yourself

October 27, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unbelievable

Real easy fix for your school problem, Samantha. Delta is ready when you are. And they fly to a whole lot of countries.

October 27, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Erica Serrano

Go girl! I'm rooting for you!

October 27, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • georgey

Go where? To prison after she has a bunch of welfare kids and gets caught turning tricks for crack rocks? All blacks end up in the gutter given enough time. Wait till she gets older.

October 27, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • FactChecker2012

You just want to have some company Georgey. You already know you're in the slum somewhere strung out on heroine. Don't push your life on this bright girl you worthless scum bag. Please do us all a favor and go play in traffic.

October 27, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
        • ferroxian

Ditto and amen!

October 28, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
      • Honestly

Or maybe she will be like the many black women in our military, or in our hospitals and nursing homes, caring for the elderly and sick

October 27, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Chris

Sad. They put ALL black people in one box....maybe people of color should do the same thing concerning whites...let's start with Timothy Mcveigh, Columbine killers, James Holmes, Paul Burks, Hitler, the list can go on and on...inspite of all the bad, I realize you "can't " generalize any group.

To this young lady, great job. And remember, Hurt people, hurt others.

October 27, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • rise

There must be enough good people out there to blog these fearfull people–(I use this term loosely) off this site. Lets twist their hate for some good.

October 27, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  44. OldPrinter

I can't believe all the bull that is being thrown around here. Must be trolls out to incite and hijack this story. I'm just proud that this kid is from NY and is doing good in the game of kings, chess. That's tough, no matter WHO you are.

October 27, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sad to See

Yea....these idiots are judging others by the color of their skin, instead of acknowledging this young woman for the content of her character.

October 27, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert Crist

The dumb jungle bunny can't even stop listening to her stupid rap music to play chess.....black....uggh

October 27, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • OldPrinter

So go and play the game to show YOUR talents. That's what this is about.

October 27, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Sad to See

It's actually quite unfortunate to read the bigotry perpetuated throughout this comment section. As a young black man, everytime I read a comment of someone categorizing blacks as a whole because of the acts of a few individuals, I pity their poor helpless souls. I've seen white men do similar acts expressed on this forum, but never would I refer to all whites as vermin or "creatures." People are so hateful and judging...of everyone but the person staring at them in the mirror.

October 27, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reach For The Stars

I couldn't agree more! There are good and bad people in All races! Two of the most impressive women I've ever met were Black, a mother and daughter. They were both college professors and spoke with such grace and refinement that the Queen of England could have taken a few lessons from them. They were good and sentient too. I recently read that people are turning away from God, becoming less spiritual. If becoming less spiritual means more hate then perhaps they should reconsider the words of Jesus Christ to....."Love your neighbor as yourself."

October 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Honestly

Thank you for saying so. When I see a story where a white man has killed someone I NEVER say "all white men blah blah blah..." That is the essence of prejudice!

October 27, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Ron Paul 2012

We all know if we are honest that blacks are the lowest level of humanity in America, the scourge of this country. So sick of seeing them glorified like they are anything more than the violent creatures they are. So sad that we brought them here.

October 27, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • e

You are a worthless piece of sh– and are not fit to lick the bottom of this girl's shoes.

October 27, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • aconventgirl

You are kidding, aren't you? Otherwise, you must have a very low opinion of yourself..........you're a very sad peson.

October 27, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • JACAN

The world would have been a much better place if your father's sperm swam the other way. Anyway, you've got my vote for World's Most Ignorant Person Of The Century award. And you're a strong contender for the Millennium award, although it's still early days in that contest. Still, you should probably start clearling a space on the mantle.

October 27, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Mary Green

Well excuse me if I don't gush with compliments...so what....one out of millions of blacks does something intelligent. Wake me when it becomes a trend! Blacks are violent, lazy, and complain too much. They need to be more like asians and just WORK to make their life happen instead of crying about how unfair life is, and asking for sympathy and special favors. An affirmative action chess ape, wonderful. What's next, a story about a black father who sticks around to raise his kids? There must be one somewhere.

October 27, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • fu

what an asshole!

October 27, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • seriously

So for all the racists, you come upon a people who without question have issues (black people) – that much is undeniable but then how do you respond? You are declaring these people to be inferior and so you are showing your "superiority" by name calling and ridiculing? That's the best you have to offer? When we ask What Would Jesus Do – is this what he'd do? Say horrible things in the comment section to insult someone who is simply trying to do their best at something? Look at the company you keep. I hate to break it to you but you racists are hardly putting forth any sort of example of "superior humanity". I will be praying for you all and I mean that sincerely.

October 27, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unbelievable

Did you read the article? The blather you just typed had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the article. Totally irrelevant to it. Why do people comment on CNN articles without reading them first? I don;t get it.

October 27, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • Travis

It's ignorance and some of the nonsense comes from people that simply don't read. It's sad.

October 27, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Travis

Wow. I really hope you are kidding. I didn't think people like you actually exist.

October 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Rob

Attention CNN Moderator:
    Why are you allowing such disgusting hateful comments to remain posted?
    I understand "Freedom of Speech," but this is a 17 your old minor and as such you have an obligation to remove these repulsive comments. African American's have every right to have their achievements published the same way "Whites" or any other ethnic groups.

To all you ignorant, racist, closed minded individuals who seem to think it is ok to post such hateful remarks about anyone, you obviously have your own issues of inadequacies to deal with.

October 27, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Genome

Thank you... finally, someone sane here.

October 27, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • seriously

I think that there are a handful of racists who've targeted this board unfortunately. I'm so glad that all the people I know in real life prove that this kind of ignorance is by far the exception and not the rule.

October 27, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Housewife in Georgia

So we are all supposed to be so overwhelmed that they found an intelligent black? It's a real indictment of the black race that finding one that demonstrates intelligence is front page news. Blame it on all of the worthless violent thugs in the black community! Black men need to stick around to raise their kids and quit gang-banging then maybe it wouldn't be this way. Black women are loud, obnoxious, and tacky. The black race has a long way to go, it's good to see that at least one among them is showing some sign of evolution.

October 27, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • seriously

October 27, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unbelievable

Housewife, did you read the article? Kindly help us out here–we're struggling. What in the eff did your illiterate trash have to do with the article? How is it relevant? Are you trying to describe chess moves, or what?

October 27, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dman68

House wife in Georgia, you must be Newt Gingrich's wife. Now I understand.

October 27, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Rachel89

Blacks are a disgrace to this country. They are more violent than whites, less intelligent, lazy, and whiney. They lower the standard of our once fine nation. So they found one smart black...yippeeeee......

October 27, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

You are one STUPID and IGNORANT WHITE BITCH.

October 27, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unbelievable

Rachel, Delta is ready when you are. There are lots of countries out there besides the US. I encourage you to pick one and move there. Soon.

October 27, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • nataliavirgo13

Chris, you obviously have nothing better to do then put out your unwanted idiotic opinions. Do the world a favor and invest your time in something useful. Cant nobody change who you are and what you believe in but it is uncalled for be a little d**k and sit behind a computer talking stuff.

October 27, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |

Dude. Wow!

October 27, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  51. ArtisticSt8mnt

To read the racist vitriol and disgusting posts of these white supremist slimebags makes me sick. No need to defend the accomplishments of this smart young woman. She probably didn't ask for this sort of attention and I'm sorry that she has had this pile of crap laid on her when all she's done is make something of herself.

October 27, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  52. smartman86

What a great story.

The human race has good people, smart people, and judging by the preceding racial comments some really dumb people. The young girl highlighted in the article belongs in the first category while those making hateful racial comments are obviously in the latter category.

October 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • ALL4ONE

I believe there are few making hurtful remarks about this young lady. Rather, I believe the story is so unnewsworthy that the appearance of this story seems to reflect CNN's opinion that blacks suceeding is a rare event. Actually, anytime a black isn't criminally in trouble, it's worth CNN and other news outlets attention. I think the racists you are actually alluring to are, in fact, the news makers. News outlets sets the bar very low for the black population; a real disservice.

October 27, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Unbelievable

Go crawl back under your rock. It was newsworthy enough that a 17-year-old female is pretty close to becoming a chess master. Make that a black 17-year-old female, and now we're talking about a first. So you're saying its unnewsworthy because you're from Mississippi, or what?

October 27, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
        • ALL4ONE

It's racists and bigots like you that want to point out the qualities of this young lady. You want to point out that she will be the first in her race to reach an expert level...something long ago accomplished by other races. I really have a disdain for bigots/racists such as yourself that will point out that, in 2012, a black lady has become a chess expert. When will your type just disappear?

October 27, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
        • Unbelievable

ALL4ONE. I hope you enjoy the attention you'll be getting from the FBI. You did see what the moderator wrote, right? LOL.

October 27, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  53. seriously

So for all the racists, you come upon a people who without question have issues (black people) - that much is undeniable but then how do you respond? You are declaring these people to be inferior and so you are showing your "superiority" by name calling and ridiculing? That's the best you have to offer? When we ask What Would Jesus Do - is this what he'd do? Say horrible things in the comment section to insult someone who is simply trying to do their best at something? Look at the company you keep. I hate to break it to you but you racists are hardly putting forth any sort of example of "superior humanity". I will be praying for you all and I mean that sincerely.

October 27, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • seriously

(and by the way I'm def not saying black people are the only ones with "issues" we all have them and they just manifest themselves differently)

October 27, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Nicky

Why are so many idiot racists posting here?

We are all one. Peace and love to everyone.

October 27, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dennis S

Sorry, but we are NOT all the same. Whites are less violent, more productive, more intelligent. Blacks drag the average down for all of America. Bringing the lazy creatures here was a big mistake. I get so sick of their loud mouths, lazy attitudes, the whining and complaining.

October 27, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • seriously

October 27, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
        • seriously

Chris – I don't understand what you mean by the soft approach. And I agree it's not economic or education - everyone's true downfall is spiritual. It manifests itself in a horrible way in the black community - agreed too - but they aren't the only ones. And white's surely aren't perfect. And I still don't think that name calling does anything other than make racists look silly and ignorant - doesn't change a thing in the world and doesn't put forth any sort of "superior humanity" that anyone should look to emulate. I don't understand the purpose and I don't think it has anything to do with anything Jesus would approve of.

October 27, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  55. nataliavirgo13

As a biracial, I am shocked at all of the negative comments against this story. This is a brilliant young female! If you believe that african americans are so underprivledged and ignorant, then why are many of the world's modern leaders and billionares of color? Hate of someone not like YOU make you ignnorant of the achievements that this girl and many other successful individuals, white or black. It disgusts me how much hate is being displayed on such a happy article. May God have mercy on the souls who choose to discriminate against this child and others for their race!

As soon as a white person can be given the same obstacles as colored people and reach the same heights, THEN all you haters can talk!

And BTW: THIS IS NOT A RACIAL ISSUE! STOP DISPLAYING ETHICAL AND MORAL VIEWS ON THIS STORY!

October 27, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unbelievable

Good news, Chris! Delta is ready when you are!

October 27, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  56. the Ram

Amazing how the KKK mobilized to take over the comment section of this story! Hey it is easy to be a low life racist when your are anonymous. What a bunch of pieces of crap.

Oh by the way, I am a white man.

October 27, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Raushana

CNN should be commended for covering this story. Rochelle is a model of achievement. Her example cannot be emulated by the virulent, ignorant, jealous, evil racists that posted on this site. There are many Black people whose posiitive achievements are not covered in the media. I am glad CNN chose to spotlight this one.

October 27, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Lyn Mikel Brown

So inspiring! Congrats! I have a 17 year old daughter who sees you as a role model.

October 27, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Muscle Man

Yeah what a joke....a black does mediocre at something and the praise is non-ending. Puke...

October 27, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • No need

"does mediocre"? Are you retarded?

October 27, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Davidson Rider

Newsflash: Intelligent life has been found in the black community, lol. Top fold news for CNN. Everyone is shocked.

October 27, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Alip

Good for her! I love hearing about people being so determined to succeed!

October 27, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Julez

She is leading the way to break stereotypes perpetuated by black communities across America.

October 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aryan STUD

Black communities have made a bad name for themselves by their violent actions, their lack of work ethic and education, etc. Blacks have smeared their own name and have nobody to blame but themselves. This one intelligent black isn't going to undo that perception that is well earned.

October 27, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Real McCoy

Now let's hear some news about white kids....why do we always have to have these "feel good" stories about black pushed on us? We know the truth CNN! This is not what blacks are, they are usually violent lazy criminals. They idolize pimps for gods sake. Enough about blacks, please. Their hair is ugly too, what is that thing sewn to her scalp?

October 27, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Sunny2011

Congratulations Rochelle!! Good luck in your future tournaments and thank Grandma for her guidance and help.

As an aside, the comments related to this story are absolutely disgusting and make me embarrassed as an American.

October 27, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Sarah Palin 2012

As I said, they can't help being less intelligent than whites, and they can't help being violent as they are less evolved that other races. When you see one heading in the right direction like this girl, we need to support her not make fun of her. If all blacks would stop committing crime long enough to do something like this, think about how much better society would be! Stop being so racist!

October 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

If you have no idea how the evolutionary process works, which you clearly do not, then please refrain on commenting. All humans share almost identical DNA. Blacks are in no way genetically inferior to whites, or any other race of people for that matter. All you've manage to do is exclaim to the world that you are a racist.

October 27, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Davidson Rider

DNA is similar but NOT identical, look it up genius. Blacks are different, and they are INFERIOR with smaller brains. FACTS.

October 27, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
        • FactChecker2012

No Davidson YOU look up the facts! There are cases where Black DNA is more similar to white DNA than another white person. You need to pick up a science book and read you stupid douche bag then do us all a favor and go find a tall cliff and walk off.

October 27, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Vanilla Bean

Someone in Hollywood is pondering the idea......"I wonder if I could make this into a movie"........"Shaniqua VS Deep Blue"

October 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  67. David8596

I still can't believe we elected one of these creatures to the white house. Very sad. This one shows some sign of intelligence and it's front page news on CNN. That tells you how everyone views them, pathetic creatures. Blacks ruin our society with their crime and violence, then once comes along and plays chess and we are all supposed to be wowed. Excuse me if I'm not. They are a cancer on America, a scourge, and I'm tired of it.

October 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dman68

One of the creatures is a son of the continent that built the pyramids of Egypt, conquered Southern Europe during the Moorish occupation, gave rise to Mali/Timbuktu, Ethiopia, Nubia, Great Zimbabwe, Ancient Ghana and gave Rome a scare under Hannibal. I don't know why you are surprised that a black man is in the white house. People who look like Obama use to be on top from pre history up to 700 yrs ago. Now our mutated offspring is ridiculing us. They have forgotten their past and lost their way.

October 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Aryan Powerman

They are all monkeys, ship them back to the jungle, take your country back white people. White Power.

October 27, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nicky

what country....? This country belongs to the Native Americans.

October 27, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dman68

I am Mitt Romney and I approve of this message......

October 27, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Neeve

Aryan, your tattoo artist just called...you're late for your appointment – remember? He was going to put your IQ on your forehead. #1.

October 27, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Carliee

Can't stand black girls....loud monkeys. Wish they were all abducted by aliens. Tired of their bullying too, the make high school miserable for white girls. Some try to pretend to like them to stay safe but I refuse. Like my dad taught me white and black don't mix, we don't belong with apes.

October 27, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reach For The Stars

Carliee you need to escape the antiquated ideology of your father and move into the light.

October 27, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lee Mohr

Carliee. Guessing your father might also be your uncle too...bet you got some kind of narly family tree.

October 28, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  70. Vanilla Bean

Her skill as a chess player has probably grown by playing her father in prison by means of correspondence games.

October 27, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard Jones

Don't be silly, you know she doesn't know who her father is. She probably stole a chess board to buy crack and ended up getting hooked on playing it.

October 27, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Vanilla Bean

There will be a new tax deduction for making donations to the "Advancement of African Americans in Chess" on the new 1040EZ.

October 27, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  71. pingpongstar

Wow. I cannot believe all the racist idiots... Fear and paranoia... You're bothered by a positive story!!

You all need to get back to McDonald's, your shift is starting...

October 27, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron Paul 2012

Many like myself in white America are just sick of blacks and wish we could get rid of them. We have jobs, businesses, homes, etc. We are just tired of the crime, drugs, violence, and all of their whining and complaining as all of the other races have found ways to quietly succeed. If blacks worked as hard as they whine and complain, they might actually get somewhere. Oh and they need to quit making fun of kids who get good grades for "acting white". Incredibly stupid that is.

October 27, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Unbelievable

I have a solution for you and your black problem, Ron. Delta is ready when you are. Amwerica has no room for the likes of you.

October 27, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah Palin 2012

Don't be racist people, be supportive of the rare black who is intelligent and does something positive. Most of them are criminals, thugs, druggies, pimps, or on welfare. We need to praise the occasional black who does something positive. Blacks can't help what they are, they are less evolved and still have a lot of ape in them. This one had to work very hard to get where she is and this is what we should encourage. We don't need the racist comments OK?

October 27, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mel

I have never seen this many blatantly racist, disgusting comments on CNN. Everyone must be coming over from the Fox News forums. Here's a little fact for you people, discriminatory speech is corrolated with lower education levels. If you believe that people who are a different race are less intelligent than you are (solely because of their race), you immediately prove yourselves wrong. How embarrassing for you all.

October 27, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mel

Really Ron Paul? Because I'm part of "white America" and personally I think you should kill yourself.

October 27, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Ron Paul 2012

Sick of stories like this. Let's hear the truth, that blacks are one eighth of the population but commit half of all violent crime, that they have twice the rate of unwed motherhood, fatherless children, etc. Good job at trying to paint a pretty face on an ugly race CNN. You don't fool me.

October 27, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joshua Corning

Nice try sock puppet.

The problem is you can find real racists on the internet....and they do not write like you do, or make the same kind of arguments....and they do not like Ron Paul.

It is pretty obvious that you are left winger trying to disparage Ron Paul

October 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  73. prettygirl95

I don't like black girls they are too loud and obnoxious I avoid them. Nice to see one that seems nice. Most blacks ruin any place they go and make me and my friends want to leave, just sayin.

October 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dianna Byrd

They are the same at my school too, loud and scary. Me and my friends can't stand them either, you aren't alone. Nice to see some have intelligence like this girl seems to wish the ones in my school did but they are all ghetto ratts.

October 27, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  74. ALL4ONE

It's so horrible how the racists' like to crush the achievements of this young gal. It must be something of a miracle for this young gal to get to this level is chess becuase she is a black female & American–heaven forbid if a black american male did it. It's such an unusuall accomplishment for a black American woman to do anything except give birth by many males while being single. With friends like these in the media, who needs racists. Maybe, because of this rare event, we'll get a much needed black holiday,,,

October 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Skinhead88

we are tired of affirmative action bs like this if this was a white girl we would never hear the story we are always hearing cnn kiss black rear and im not gonna pretend its ok more whites need to take a stand and take their country back this is white mans land we made this country not the violent filthy crack smoking woman pimping apes and this girl will end up on the street like the rest of them

October 27, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • ccccc

Miracle? If women are equal, then how is this a story? Chess is a game based on intellect, and haven't we been taught women and men are equal in the realm of intelligence? If a man can sew a skirt better than a woman, do we make that front page news and say man "crushes" women in sewing? If we are equal, quit patting yourselves on the back for non-accomplishments based on gender, and compete with all others as just one amongst the field, or admit the role of inferiority, can't have it both ways.

October 27, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  75. White and PROUD

Always trying to make blacks look like normal humans, sorry CNN this doesn't fool anyone. They are still apes to most white people and that will NEVER change.

October 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • LMAO

Hey WHITE AND STUPID! Don't speak for all whites, most of whom have an IQ greater than their shoe size...with a few exceptions.

October 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • 2fukmao

It looks like a piece of coal does shine in your mouth. That tells your color.

October 27, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dman68

Remember no copy is greater than the original. Your DNA comes from blacks. So if we are dumb apes what does that say about you?

October 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Steven Rogers

Science has shown that blacks have evolved less in terms of moving forward from the level of apes. Whites are more evolved. We as a result, do NOT have identical DNA. There is a difference. I'm sorry to tell you, blacks are NOT equal to whites genetically. Read a book some time.

October 27, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
        • Sunny2011

My God, you are ignorant. Do the world a favor and stop posing as an authority on the human genome.

October 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
        • thinkscience

The ignorance on these posts is astounding. There is one genome map for all humans. Our genes are identical. We are one species.

October 27, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
        • Dman68

Steve Rogers, back at you. Please get some education man. I don't know your grade level, but the something is not adding up. If you look underneath the hood, all human beings have identical DNA. I now this challenges your racial fears and make you feel less special in this changing world. I dare you to take a look at what the first Europeans looked like. Reference this BBC documentary URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1IDth0aBH0 As you can see the Cromagnon looked very African. So who's your daddy?

October 27, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nicky

Not every white person agrees with you so stfu.

October 27, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • JACAN

I can assure you that black's are only considered apes to a minority of white people. I refer to them as racist morons. You qualify.

October 27, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Vanilla Bean

For a fleeting moment I thought that the game of Chess would be safe from the putrid stench of affirmative action's grasp......wrong.....checkmate. You go Shaniqua!

October 27, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aryan Woman

All this is, is affirmative action news. So sick of seeing everyone kiss black peoples rear ends. So what, ONE was actually not a crackhead or criminal or single mother with ten welfare kids. This is so rare it's front page news! Pathetic!

October 27, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dman68

Aryan woman, did the black putdown make you feel better about yourself? I'm still trying to figure out how people kiss our butts. We have to struggle everyday in a white man's world. Notice the hateful comments.

October 27, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
        • Dman68

@Ron Paul 2012, you already have your rehearsed conservative talking points. If I say this, then you will say that. So, there's no need to go back and forth. I will say this. I have a job. And sorry to disappoint you, but I do not fit your racial stereotype. Most black people do not live in this Archie Bunker fantasy world you have created for yourself. You sound like a victim more than any black person I know.

October 27, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • JACAN

I think what's news is that a young black female has excelled despite living in a society oppresses young black females. Or, really, anyone who's black, regardless of age or gender. Do you think you could have achieved a ninety-sixth percentile ranking–in anything–if you were a young black female living in a country populated by tens of millions of people like you?

October 27, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • LMAO

Hey twit! She has to WIN MATCHES to advance. That's called skill, not affirmative action.

October 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • Vanilla Bean

And I suppose that the current President was elected all based upon his "skill"?.....Hopes, dreams, and rainbows as I recall.
        "O" is the letter of the day and the number of the day is 16,000,000,000,000.

October 27, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
        • JACAN

The current president was elected by the same mechanism that elected all previous presidents. And he did that in a society rife with racism. That's impressive, and indicative of where racism is heading in America. Enjoy it while it lasts. Too bad you weren't a little more mocha and a little less vanilla.

October 27, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |

Oh, man.

October 27, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Mo

WTF is wrong with you people?

Make it work, Rochelle. You can do it!!

October 27, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth Teller

In five years she will be an unwed mother with six welfare brats and no father to be seen like every other black woman. They are a drag on society.

October 27, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dman68

I get the feeling that you hope in five yrs she will be an unwed mother and a drag on society. I can't imagine you wishing this young lady well or caring about her future. Prayerfully, she will not meet your low expectations and prove you wrong.

October 27, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Took

Trolls abound in the comments section today, I see....

Good job, Rochelle!

October 27, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Cal3000

I swear, white supremacy forums come around to troll. Silly low intelligence come from there. lol

October 27, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cindy Princess

Blacks have made a lot of people despise them. I am in no way a member of any type of skinhead or klan group, but I hate how black girls in my school have loud mouths, and are very threatening and violent. The guys are even worse. I wish I could go to a white only school. I don't hate them I just don't like being around them. I should be able to go to school without having my education ruined by blacks. I'm glad this girl is a rare exception and I wish the ones at my school were like this but they are NOT!

October 27, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dman68

Cindy Princess, do you also want to disown all white people because some of them do crazy things in their trailer parks, or say stupid things and believe ignorant things about minorities? Look at the white Republican congressman that yelled "You lie" during the Presidents state of the union address. I have never seen anyone black, Asian or Hispanic do anything that ignorant. I have seen white college students during spring break lick each others testicles in public. I have seen drunken white people pee in the open. You can't stereotype or classify a whole group of people based on the actions of a few. That's what racist do. And that white flight thing is getting old. You either become part of the solution or become part of the problem. If we are all Americans, why do so many white conservatives (so called Christians) keep talking about a separate America?

October 27, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
        • JACAN

Dude! That thing about seeing white college students during spring break...total over share! I was eating when I read that. Completely put me off my fresh fried lobster.

October 27, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • JACAN

I hear what you're saying, CP, but you've got to separate behavior from race. The behavior you cite is bad, but the people acting that way aren't doing it because they're black. It's not biology at work here, it's racism, and it's on the part of whites. Exclusively. Do some research to gain a better understanding of the relationship between racism (past and present) in America and the racist policies (housing, education, employment, etc.) that have unavoidably led to the situation you describe. Trust me when I say that you'll be far more disappointed with the behavior of whites than the behavior of blacks.

October 27, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Claire

Keep up the good work Rochelle , She is an outstanding young lady, For some of these racist comments we see the kkk is still alive and active with their Straw Dog thinking. Notice kkk is not in capital letter thats how you are thought of very small minded ignorant people, Get a life already.

October 27, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Earl

What good work? From what I can tell she is just average at chess, nothing special. A big deal of her is being made because it is unusual to see an intelligent black. Most are violent, lazy, and generally not very intelligent. Sure there are exceptions, but very few. If this was a white girl it wouldn't even be news.

October 27, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • pc

She is rated at the 96th percentile of members of the US Chess Federation. How is that "just average"?

October 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
        • Jason5000

Her rating number doesn't even qualify as master. Look it up.

October 27, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dman68

James Earl, If I were an angry violent black, how would your comments inspire me to think different? You are part of the problem with America. I'm trying to get you to see your own self hate and feelings of inadequacy that you project on this wonderful, bright black teenager. You don't have hate this girl to feel good about yourself. I think black people have suffered enough in this country. If you can't think of anything positive to say, then consider saying nothing at all. Amen!

October 27, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Chris DeLaurentis

It is wonderful to see blacks break out of the oppression we whites put on them. We celebrate Rochele and her Grandmother for being bigger than their oppressors.

October 27, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • LovelyDee

That's right white opression is bigger then ever. I have a boyfriend (black guy) and white guys give us dirrty looks all time they jealus n racist

October 27, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • Aryan Woman

What you couldn't find a decent white human male? Why would you want to breed with a less evolved creature that is part ape? W T F is wrong with you? All he is ever going to do is cheat on you and give you a velcro headed baby anyway....you are a fool and you will see I was right. Disgusting, why would anyone want to be with one of those greasy stinky apes? Its beyond me.

October 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
        • JACAN

Well, you are a piece of work, aren't you. You make it so embarrassing to be white. Did you missed the biology class that explained how ALL humans evolved from apes? She'll see that you're right? There's not a thing you wrote that even approximates correctness, factually or morally.

October 27, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
        • Dman68

Aryan women, the so called Velcro hair that you put down is not recessive or stringy. It is a gift from God. We need not worry about lice. This is an adaptation to living in a hot tropic climate found near the equator of W. Africa. All black people do not have the same grade of hair. We are genetically diverse. As a matter of fact, how many people do know can look good bald (and not look like a mental patient) or with hair? The African falls in that category. Self haters have to turn their racial phenotype into a religion and put down others in order to feel good about themselves. All fake category races come from us blacks. So if we are not evolved, what does that make of you? No disciple can be greater than the master. Or no copy can be better than the original. Can I get an Amen sister Ary?

October 27, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • 2fukmao

That look means:. That's disgusting!

October 27, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aryan Woman

Now how about a story about a white kid doing something great? Why is CNN so biased against MY race? This girl is nothing special and wouldn't have a chance against smart white people who play chess. People always have to pretend blacks are equal to whites and I'm sick of it.

October 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • pc

Perhaps you should reread the article. She wins matches against "smart white people who play chess" regularly (as well as losing to them since she will be playing people around her high rating level), that's why her US Chess Federation rating is 2065, which is higher than 96 per cent of members of the US Chess Federation.

October 27, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
        • Nicky

I don't think she can read....

October 27, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • JACAN

Yeah, you hardly ever see stories about whites on CNN. In fact, CNN should change it's name to BNN, don't you think? Did you time travel your way to the present from 1720s Louisiana? White isn't YOUR race, you just happened to be born white. And then decided to take advantage of a society rife with racism. Newsflash: blacks ARE equal to whites when it comes to intelligence. What they can't do as well as whites is oppress an entire race. They're not even trying. Which kinda makes them superior to whites in a very real and meaningful way. Try supplanting some of the hate in your life with love. Try supplanting some of the ignorance in your life with facts and reality.

October 27, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
        • Dman68

Jacan, your words are true. If blacks were the majority, we would still strive to treat everyone equal. Look at S. Africa as a role model. The black S. Africans got a raw deal during and at the end of apartheid, but you don't see them rushing to push the white, rich Afrikaans into the sea. We are a forgiving people for the most part.

October 27, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • ccccc

.How about a story of a man doing something great? Why is CNN so biased against MY gender? This female is nothing special, and wouldn't have a chance against a man. People always have to pretend women are equal to men, and I'm sick of it........Wow, it is easy to think like a moron

October 27, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dman68

Ummm. I don't know if you noticed but you have no race sweety. Your phenotype is mutt mixture between Asian and African. Do you want to see a picture of the earliest European? I hope you ain't scared. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1IDth0aBH0 All racial categories are fake and so 18th century. I can tell you this, your ancestors are black Africans from way back. So watch what you say. Having said that, all of America is white history. You can't open a book or turn on the T.V without seeing European glorification. Sadly, all history and accomplishments are not treated equal. So, if CNN wants to throw this African American girl a crumb so be it.

October 27, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dman68

All of America is about a white kid something great. Open your eyes. Why can't you be happy for the crumb given to this girl. Did a black man break your heart and now you hate all black people?

October 27, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • christopher knight

they oppress themselves by having kids out of wedlock and smoking crack and thugging and pimping and thinking its uncool to get good grades blacks are despised for a reason because of what they have done to ruin society i dont care what they do thats how it is

October 27, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  81. camillemcdaniel

Underneath the hateful comments, I see fear. Fear of what you know is unstoppable. Yes, evolution of the mind is something isn't it? You can either evolve or become obsolete. You will be witness to your fears, just wait....

October 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • MasterG

Fear that my tax money is being used by apes for food stamps so they can have 15 kids they can't afford. The dumb are having kids on my dime whiloe white people put off having kids so they can afford to pay tax. Yeah- fear of THAT

October 27, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • JACAN

So, no whites on stamps? No whites with multiple children from multiple fathers? No whites on the dole? Whites didn't evolve from apes? Wake up to yourself.

October 27, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dman68

Master G, are you now a spokes person for the religious right and the Republican party? Your talking points sound familiar.

October 27, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  82. SS

It's a game not a sport dominated by men, and she's obviously an exception to that rule. As long as she isn't a sore loser like Kasparov when he lost to that computer, I hope she goes far and keeps raking in wins.

October 27, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Equaltiy

This article is racist, and CNN should be ashamed. Singling someone out for their race, for something positive or negative, is racism. This country has such a double standard. It wants "racism" to die, yet in a twist of irony is at every turn promoting racism and separation.

I really don't see how racism in this country is every going to die when we have the news media to thank for stories like this, and for race-baiting stories like the Treyvon Martin case (CNN originally called the shooter "white" when he is, in fact, hispanic).

Either continue to point out people's race and admit that when doing so you are racist, or else NEVER EVER mention it in a crime, in an achievement, for a president, or else you are continuing to divide based on race in this country.

October 27, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean C.

That's not how racism works. Pointing out that racism exists and celebrating those who overcome it is not being racist. Pretending that racism doesn't exist just allows injustice to continue.

October 27, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • JACAN

Gotta go with Sean C. on this one, Equality. I get your point, but we're not there yet with respect to racial equality. The comments on this page demonstrate that racial education is still required. Notice they also mentioned that she's a woman (She crushes in game dominated by men). Being black or being a woman shouldn't be controversial, but it is. Until it's not, racists, sexists, homophobes, etc. need to be bombarded with reality. It may never sink in for them, but it's the right thing to do.

October 27, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Samantha the Great

Look, all this racism isn't needed. Blacks can't help being less intelligent than white people, so why make fun of them? We should all be happy to see that they are evolving as a race and becoming more intelligent and that this young girl is trying to rise above the bad reputation blacks have in America. We should all encourage this. Please don't be racist people. Don't hate.

October 27, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • billy steven4564114

yeah they cant help being dumb and violent whats the point in making fun of them its like being mean to animals

October 27, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • JACAN

Are you serious? Don't be racist? Don't hate? This coming from someone who states that black people are less intelligent. That myth was busted years ago. Nice try racist.

October 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dman68

These words are almost identical to what Ethiopians, Moors, Egyptians and Greeks use to say about the rest of Europe. Especially the barbarians found to the north of the Alps. History is fascinating. What goes around comes around. What will people say about N. Americans 500 yrs from now?

October 27, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Denise Rollman

It's a shame that more blacks aren't like her. The black women / girls around here have loud mouths and can't shut up. They are always trying to intimidate other people, fight, use drugs, etc. The black guys are even worse. Getting good grades is "acting white" and they consider it uncool. Blacks idolize pimps, gangsters, thugs, etc., and think it is a badge of honor to "pimp hoes". Unless they get a job playing with rubber balls for a living, most never amount to anything more than prison inmates or welfare moms. It's good to see at least one black has a little white in her.

October 27, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • JACAN

Do some research to find out why the situation you describe exists, at least to the extent that it actually does.

October 27, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  86. stanley steamroller

Wow, an intelligent black was found, quite a discovery. You mean she wasn't out getting pimped on the street corner, smoking crack, or having a half dozen kids by age 18 by a half dozen different men who are now all nowhere to be found? This is a very unusual black female. This is proof of evolution for the doubters. All lower life forms evolve and advance given enough time. They are moving farther from their ape ancestors, and closer to white humans and other superior races like asians.

October 27, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wiley in CA

Did someone drop you on your head when you were little?

October 27, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • JACAN

Irony Alert: What do whites do to white women who have four babies by four different men? They give them their own reality TV show and idolize them. We know from your comment what many whites do to black women in a similar situation.

October 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dman68

Stanley, If your are right, why are you de-evolving into an unrecognizable low life form?

October 27, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 107 other followers