Crawling to work in NYC
Hundreds of thousands of commuters had to board shuttle buses to make the trip into Manhattan. The wait was more than 2 hours.
November 1st, 2012

Crawling to work in NYC

By Steve Kastenbaum, CNN

(CNN) – The lifeblood of New York City, the subway system, showed signs of life on Thursday.

However, water in the East River's tunnels forced inbound trains to end their runs in downtown Brooklyn.

Hundreds of thousands of commuters waited in line for hours to board shuttle buses into the city. Mike Mcquilkin was among them.

[1:07] "This morning, I was up at 6:30 preparing to head to work at the Whitney Museum"

Four hours later, he had yet to make it to his destination.

[1:20] "It's all nature that's taken place and you just have to roll with the punches."

With the city enforcing a 3 person-per-car minimum for people crossing the bridges into Manhattan, drivers were picking up people like Joe Gonzalez on the street to fill seats.

[2:23] "I'm looking for a ride to Mahattan and I'll get one soon enough... You just have to get into a car that's going into a part of the city where you're going."

Editor's Note: Listen to the complete story in the player above.

1. Bazoing

'Down' to the same level is the word; the subway is as down as it gets. The subways need hue and cry.

November 2, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. @ Peter

@Peter- You are so ignorant. I am a public employee in NY State. I take home under 30k a year, and I am forced to live with my parents (in my mid 20s) because I simply do not make enough money. I go to school 4 nights a week (which costs more than I make) Yes, some municiplaities make too much but don't bunch us all together

November 2, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • snookers

Do not blame Peter. He is just a faithful Fox news aficionado and subsequently brainwashed. Their motto is; We deceive, you believe :

November 2, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  3. wes

There are two sides of the coin here with the bike situation. One if you have a bike at least ride it safely and dont ride slowly in front of faster and heavier cars. If I lived in the city I would love to have moped or bike to ride around in as long as there is no snow or ice. When it comes to living close to the water I really never understood why someone would want to unless they are rich and enjoy the sea. I personally don't like it but once a year, too salty and dangerous for me. Everyone knows that global warming is happening and cities next to Oceans are in big trouble no matter what precautions they use. I work on Long Island and cannot wait to move back home to KY.

November 2, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Bazoing

The bikies are who terrorize pedestrians while bragging about how they are saving the environment.

November 2, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. mike bloomberg

I am very proud to say I am a rich man. The rich people are doing just fine in New York City. It is those working class people that are the trouble. They can't get to work, take baths etc.

As I sit here drinking Late con leche I am thinking about how can things get better for the little people.

November 2, 2012 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
    • snookers

Somehow . you do not come over very believable drinking coffee with milk and milk.
      Latte already means expresso coffee with milk. Try 'Café au lait or con leche or caffè latte next time.

November 2, 2012 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
      • M

C'mon...EXpresso?

November 2, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
        • snookers

on purpose, was trying to entice a reply ;-)

November 2, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. K

Where is American Red Cross ??

November 2, 2012 at 3:50 am | Report abuse |
    • OBAMASUCKS

RED CROSS IS ONLY A MONEY MAKING ORGANIZATION

November 2, 2012 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
      • ray

You are an idiot

November 2, 2012 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
      • Zeno

You are correct, the Red Cross is a collector. It collects money and blood, sells the blood and keeps the money. First thing in every tragedy, it begs for money. Absoluteely worthless!

November 2, 2012 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mike

WOPA Gangam Style people!

November 2, 2012 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
    • mike bloomberg

Maybe if New Yorkers did the WOPA Gangam Style they would feel better.

Any how.... Why would people chose to live so close to the ocean knowing full well that a storm can wash them out. !

November 2, 2012 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
      • snookers

Man made protection in the USA from storm surges is very poor in the USA. Guess an ounce of prevention vs a pound of cure does not apply in the USA. Lots of the flooding could have been prevented with some waterworks a la the Dutch. Especially in NYC. But if you live right on the beach, you are pretty well on your own.

November 2, 2012 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
        • waterford

The whole idea of living next to water is that is that your living area is almost flush with the water. That way one can easily enjoy the water. Not very fun to climb up & down step hills to get to it. However I agree that seawalls should have been built higher but in a 100+ years this has never happened & it may be another 100+ before it happens again. The chance one takes living next to water.

November 2, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  7. Elle

Maybe if NYC had public bikes, as do other countries and even other US cities, some of this could have been alleviated.

Me, I walk 1 1/2 miles to work every day. I'm used to it. I suppose NYC is a lot larger than that, but if I was in their shoes, I'd have had a bike as backup. People might feel better about using them if only they saw others using them too.

November 2, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Are you kidding? The weather is too cold to bike! Especially for long distances.

November 2, 2012 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
      • Elle

They make coats and gloves for a reason. And plenty of Northern Europeans bike or walk even in the coldest weather. Americans are so lazy!

November 2, 2012 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
        • East Coast

Gotta agree. Americans are not only lazy, they are cruel and unaccommodating to bike riders. It's like taking your life in your hands. The road structures are unfriendly to bikes. I would bike every day to work if I could, but we can't afford to live even relatively close to our workplaces and it would be incredible distances to get there. Heck, I am an American and see how lazy some of us can be.

November 2, 2012 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
        • snookers

Countries that use bikes or those little mopeds extensively, have dedicated bike pads, especially on road ways with speed limits higher than city traffic. Most roads in the USA are not safe for bikes unless you drive the opposite direction so at least you can see what is coming your way.

November 2, 2012 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

What an incredibly ignorant comment. The average commuter lives 5 miles from where they work. Some areas of brooklyn and queens are 10 miles away. NYC is not Oslo or Reykjaviik. You expect a mother of 3 working for $10 an hour to bike to work 8.8 miles from where i live in Queens in 40 degree weather after working a 14 hour shift shuffling papers with a 3-4 hour commute feed her kids etc. You are probably nt a bad person bt ehat you said is incredibly insensitive comment. The cyclist mafia shows the same close mindedness and moral certitude of religous fanatics and american corporatist.

November 2, 2012 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
      • snookers

I agree. Am originally from Rotterdam, Holland and always went to school/work on my bike. But because of the short distance, longest time was probably 30 minutes. The commuting distances are too vast to NYC and therefor not practical for biking.
        And when the weather was real bad, you always cheated. Either used public transportation or a friend with a car.
        Also wonder about safety in certain areas of NYC when on a bike.

November 2, 2012 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  8. Peter

Gimme a break. Dem's have raped and pilaged NY state. Union workers (cops, firefighters and teachers) are the most highly paid employees in the country. There is a big disconnect when everyone else has no or minimal healthcare and zero pensions. Goverment employees in NY are looting and screwing all the other residents.

November 2, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Jrod

Yeah we all saw on 9/11 just how lazy those cops and firefighters in NYC are, huh? Idiot!

November 2, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Adrien

Ah, no wonder all the teachers I know own a Ferrari and call their tea cup chihuahuas Gunther....

November 2, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  9. Johny Rich

Government help? Not under a republicon governor. All you are going to get is Privatisation and Toll roads. Wait another 20 years for help.

November 1, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Cuomo is a democrat.

November 1, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • McCourt

I don't know if Johny Rich's argument is ruined because of aligning the governor with the wrong party, or the misspellings and capitalization errors.

November 2, 2012 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. rob breisch

time for a new version of the original WPA-Obama style

November 1, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 120 other followers