Election 2012: The husband-wife divide
A couple listens to Republican candidate Mitt Romney on the campaign trail.
November 1st, 2012

Election 2012: The husband-wife divide

By Lisa Desjardins, CNN

(CNN) - Loralee Choate and her husband, Jonathan, just had what Loralee believes is the biggest fight in their 14 years of marriage. And it was about politics.

Loralee Choate, wife, mother and left-leaning voter:

[1:45] "I would say the biggest arguments in our marriage have been political."

She is a strong supporter of the Obama health care law, whose passionate blog about her life once got her and her husband invited to the Obama White House to talk policy.

Loralee swings left in other ways as well. Personally, she says she wouldn’t ever consider getting an abortion, but she doesn’t want lawmakers making that decision for other women. And she thinks government should assertively try to help the unfortunate.

Her husband Jonathan, is a libertarian who disagrees starkly, especially in his overarching view of government.

Jonathan Choate, husband, father and conservative voter:

[2:24] 'I believe the reason we got to be a country that has all these things that we now want to distribute is by having free markets and it being the responsibility of individuals and charity organizations to take care of people.'

Jonathan runs his own business and co-hosts a political radio show called "For the People" on local station KNVU.

He and Loralee grapple with a real-couple example of a political divide that has shaped American politics since the 1980s.

And this year, polls indicate the gender gap could be historic. We've certainly heard about how the Obama campaign is counting on, possibly depending on, a large margin of victory among female voters. (An informed Obama campaign official told CNN  that they believe the have a double-digit lead among women.)

But what's fueling that gap? Loralee and Jonathan may shed some light. Her priority issues include gay rights and health care. Jonathan has only one top issue: the economy.

That same divide, over which issues matter the most, has shown up repeatedly in national 2012 polls, including Gallup's.

Editor's note: Listen to the complete story in the player above  to hear how Gallup looks at the gender gap and whether the male/female divide is solely an American phenomenon.

1. avatar 198|tai avatar 198|avatar 198 auto farm

I cherished up to you will obtain performed proper here. The cartoon is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. however, you command get got an edginess over that you wish be handing over the following. in poor health definitely come further beforehand again as exactly the similar just about a lot frequently inside of case you protect this increase.

November 7, 2012 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. loralee

The wife in the article, here. I've read this very long, interesting and eye-opening thread and would like to make a few responses to questions that are pointed at me.

First, I would like to thank Lisa for this article. She was a delight to work with and Jonathan and I are both pleased with the results. (For those who say it is not deep enough, there is a rather lengthy radio interview that this article was taken from. You can probably get a lot more information if you listen to it.)

I'd also like to thank those that stayed well-mannered. You are the gems of the Internet. If you're going to fight, fight for civility. Speaking about that...my husband and I actually stay pretty respectful of each other in our marriage. We rarely 'fight', but yes, the times we do have mostly been about politics. We banter in the radio interview and that is *usually* as heated as it gets. (Ironically, the worst argument we have had was about abortion. Those are rare, though.)

For those that wonder why we stay together or how we could marry being so different: We both started out as Republicans. It's not uncommon in Utah. It's the most conservative state in the union. (Hello, it was the only state where Clinton came in THIRD.) As we got older, I became more liberal, and Jonathan became more conservative until both of us changed parties officially. It happens. Are we supposed to ditch our family because of it? I think not.

We discuss politics because we do not have the luxury of NOT talking about them. Our 'hot button' issues directly impact the lives of our loved ones, and ourselves. My lesbian sister who has been with her partner for 24 years should be allowed to marry. Prop. 8 TORE my family to bits and pieces and that was where I started taking a LONG hard look at my political beliefs. We also have staggering health care bills and I have spent the last year almost bedridden. Jonathan co-hosts a political radio show and I grew up as the daughter of a newspaper man and am just as passionate about politics. Jon is well known where we live, as am I. And our politics are well known to people. There are REASONS we don't just shut up about it.

As for my statement on abortion and "Why" I stated I would never personally have an abortion but would also not overturn Roe vs. Wade. It's pretty simple. In September of 2003, our beautiful baby boy named Matthew died in my arms of SIDS. It almost destroyed me and my family. It is not the same but there is NO WAY I could terminate a pregnancy unless my life was threatened or in the case of rape. I just do not have it in me. I know this. It is my choice and my feelings and I could never take that same ability to decide from another woman. Do I wish they would choose adoption vs. abortion? Yes. But that is just not the choice many make and I can't thrust them back to the days of false rape accusations or back alley abortions when the situation is desperate. You may not agree. My husband doesn't. I try to understand him. Sometimes it's hard, but life can be hard. Marriage can be hard. Many things worth having in life can be difficult a lot of the time. I am not going to let that stop me from having a loving family. (And yes, we ARE a loving family.)

I do not believe conservatives are evil monsters. I do not particularly care for those who make blanket statements that they could never befriend, respect, or like them. For one, most of my friends, family and associates are conservative and/or Mormon. I am a big minority where I live. (Jon likes to say that when I became a Democrat, my city got a fourth for Bridge. :) ) If I shunned everyone who disagreed with me politically I would have VERY few people to love or talk to.

My husband and I have seen the face of hell together. We have been through a lot. Just ONE of the many things we have made it through would end most marriages, but we are still here and we are both devoted to making it to the end together as a family. I love him. And he loves me. Yes, I disagree with so many of his politics but he has seen me through so much trial and sorrow and literally carried me with his unwavering strength. I am baffled how we walked the same walk and then came out with such different ideologies, but that is just what happened. And since we still absolutely love each other to bits we are just making the best of it.

And lastly, yes,,,,I am a Mormon. I left for about a decade after my son died. I am not the most active member ever and certainly do not 'go with the general flow" I am also not ashamed of my religion. I am also used to bigotry so many of the comments regarding it do not surprise me. (It's kind of hard to be shocked by a stranger online spewing foulness when your own Southern Baptist and VERY anti-Mormon grandmother thought you were literally going to be born with horns.)

All in all, this was a great experience and I truly enjoyed most of the commentary here. A lot of it was very insightful and eye-opening. Thank you to all who cared enough to read.

Happy election day!

November 6, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Nancy Russo

Part of the reason for the husband-wife divide is that traditionally men have been the breadwinners while women take on multiple roles. So men are more focused on the economy and women have broader issues. That's why the lack of reporting on the fact that there has been little reporting about the fact that the Financial Times and The Economist has endorsed OBAMA. Watching CNN this morning I heard people say they were going to vote for Romney because of his record on the economy. Not one reporter asked – so what do you think about the fact that The Economist and The Financial Times have endorsed Obama? To leave these statements unanalyzed is irresponsible reporting. I expect it from Fox News, but CNN?

November 5, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dean

After reading comments in here and realizing that most people have no earthly idea about what they are talking about as far as current affairs and our government, maybe a poll tax for voting is not a bad idea. Especially when I hear comments about the "surplus from Clinton" that Bush spent.

November 5, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. kenhbradshaw

Politics is simple. Try choosing a restaurant.

November 4, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Liberator

I am in a similar situation to the man in the story. I am a Libertarian and my wife a Republican. It's okay to discuss your difference in ideas and opinions, but you just have to stay reasonable enough to recognize when you've reached a dead end in your discussion. Your ideas won't ring true with everyone because it comes down to your fundamental beliefs in many ways and if you believe different on that, there's nothing that will change that. She will be voting Romney on Tuesday and I will be voting Gary Johnson and both of us are okay with that because we realize that love is deeper than politics.

I do find it funny to see all of the talks about how Libertarians are "extremists" and unwavering, etc. It reminds me of a little statement that amused me. Libertarians are dangerous extremists. They want to get into power and then leave you alone.

To each their own, but I'm going to need a few lessons to understand how restoring civil liberties equates with extremism. What are the grounds on this? That we can't be trusted without Uncle Sam looking over our shoulders or that we're too stupid to direct ourselves without the guidance of the state?

November 3, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • SteveTheProgressive

Liberator, the persuit of liberties can be an extremism. Private enterprise without restrictions can lead to evils that are totally superior to the inconveniences that regulations provide. If you want the sumum of liberty, then leave civilization behind and move to a jungle.

November 4, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Timodeus

Of course there aren't plenty examples of government regulations leading to extremist action, right? At least private enterprise responds to market forces, governmental regulations have no such restraint.

November 5, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
        • Jay Alt

Civics used to include units on the branches of government, the role of the judiciary and the importance of regular elections. How quickly we forget.

November 5, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jt_flyer

The new Supreme Court Justace iwill arguably the most important, long term, impact of this election.

I can't even imagine the Mullah Romney would appoint.

Ultimately the need to maintain the separation of church and state will override all other issues for me.

November 3, 2012 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Jt_flyer

*justice

November 3, 2012 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Craig

Possibly the dumbest post ever. Try not to believe everything Rachel Maddow says.....ok

November 3, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

"The separation of church and state" is NOT in the constitution. Research it. :D

November 5, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Lorraine

Right on.... If there is one reason... and there are many.... that Obama HAS TO WIN... is the court.. If Idiot Romney gets in the Court will really hurt WOMEN. and the Middle Class... WOMEN WAKE UP... REPUBLICANS WANT TO TAKE ALL OUR RIGHT AWAY.. THEY WANT TO PAY US LESS (they are ready do that) BUT IT WILL EVEN LESS... AND OUR HEALTH WILL BE IN THE HANDS OF THESE OLD WHITE MEN

November 5, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jt_flyer

The choices as this independant sees them:

Obama:
    1. Enormous unless government
    2. Terrorist Unions
    3. Welfare for freeloaders
    4. Paralyzing government regulation

Romney:
    1. Melding of church and state
    2. Glutinous military spending.

The INDEPENDANTS need a candidate that represent us.
    (I left off Tax reduction investment incentives because I happen to believe they work)

November 3, 2012 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
    • lulu814

I totally agree with the over regulation of the federal government. I am a coal miner in PA and I VOTE. I love how Dems are preaching how they wanna strengthen up the middle class but in the background they are making regulations..especially the EPA...that make it impossible to streghten anything. Because of regs especially on coal mining, oh and on that note, not only does it affect coal miners, but industries associated with coal mining, people are more worried about having jobs let alone "strengthening" our jobs. I cannot believe that people back Obama when he and his administration have publicly declared their war on any type of fossil fuel exploration, but in the debate he bold faced lied and said he is opening these federal lands to oil drilling, softer regs on coal, etc. Now after saying this, I call bs on Mr. Obama's plan for America. I firmly believe that If he is re elected we will be in a world of trouble.STOP THE WAR ON COAL...FIRE OBAMA

November 4, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • PartyPooper54

You do realize that coal is is a huge contributor to the rapid climate change that very well could soon make the Earth uninhabitable for humans, don't you? Maybe that is a reason for these "horrible" EPA regulations.

November 4, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
        • lulu814

you also do realize that clean coal technology is far more advanced that ignorant people realize. Ignorant meaning people that dont know any better. You get more climate change from cow flatulence than you do from coal. Do research before you post things you have no idea about

November 4, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
        • lulu814

oh and for your info also, you get more climate devastation from the hydrogen created from your "smart" cars than you do from coal. If you need help in your research let me know, because I have slews of credible sites to debunk your post Party

November 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dean

Can you give us an example of Romney and melding of church and state? And his statement that he believes abortion is wrong is not an example. He has not said anything that would lead someone to believe that he would try and change Roe vs Wade. He just stated that he does not agree with it , as do most of the people in this country unless it is for rape pregnancy.

November 5, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. Michael

Bishop Romney:
    Vulture Capitalist………Check
    Tax Cheat…………........ Check
    Draft Dodger………….. Check
    Serial Flip-Flopper……. Check
    Dog Abuser…………… Check
    Jobs Killler……………. Check
    13 Cayman Accounts..... Check
    5 Swiss Bank Accounts.. Check

November 3, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Darryl Phillips

I might omit "dog abuser", maybe that isn't accurate, don't know. But I agree with the rest, and have wondered from day one why Obama didn't question any candidate for President who keeps his money outside of our country. THAT is a point that would ring true with the uninformed voter.

November 4, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dean

Almost everyone who participates in a mutual fund has money invested in offshore accounts and businesses. Most people want the highest rate of return on the money they have earned in this country.

November 5, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Dean

Tax cheat??? It seems that the IRS is satisfied. If you have a beef with the tax Romeny paid, your beef should be directed to Democrats like Charlie Rangel who are responsible for the tax code that Romney and millions of Americans follow.

ps. Romney bishop is kinda like Obama muslim.

November 5, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. jdoe

Libertarians are the extreme opposite of Communists. Whereas Communists believe that private enterprise is inherently bad and evil, Libertarians believe that government is inherently bad and evil. The answer is, of course, somewhere in the middle. This is why it's difficult to have a decent debate with people who already have an overarching assumption in mind.

November 2, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • ElmerGantry

Well stated.
      It's either of these extremes that have the refuse to compromise its my way or the highway attïtudes.

November 3, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Liberator

Such an absolutist view of libertarians and communists is just as equally divisive and fruitless. To pigeonhole an entire ideology as 'extreme' and unwavering is just as silly as one can get. People are their own individual selves regardless of their beliefs. Just as some Republicans will never accept that Obama is not a socialist and some Democrats will never confess that George Bush was, in fact, not the Anti-Christ, the most extreme members of an ideology are not indicative of it's believers as a whole. Also, not all Libertarians believe that the Government is inherently evil. Some, yes, but the idea that the state is evil and must be abolished is more of an Anarchistic idea. Libertarians usually hold that the state is necessary for a few functions such as security, but that too much power given to the state is dangerous to the civil liberties of it's constituents.

November 3, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darryl Phillips

Libertarian is the opposite of Authoritarian, not communist. They are quite different.

November 4, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ludvig

I grew up in a rural typical loving Republican area and can remember a white woman saying that JFK deserved it after he was assassinated and remember hearing that MLK was a Communist. I don't live there anymore, have moved on to California and have been reeducated from the brainwashing I got back in that rural area which had Romney up by 10 point now. Hopefully we'll get rid of the teabagger they redistricted into my area and I will have a Democratic congressman again.

November 2, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Timodeus

Yeah, California isn't brainwashed at all....Land of the Fruits and Nuts.

November 5, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  12. Brilliant Woman

I respect my body. I also consider myself an equal to men, and even superior to some of them. I am voting for Romney. Honesty and integrity are more important to me in a candidate then unfulfilled promises. Obama has lied and lied and lied. He's driven our country and our economy to the ground. He says he will help women, but he's had 4 years to do so... and I am worse off now than I was before he was elected. Economy should be the president's number one priority.

November 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really?

Honest? How do you pay 14% taxes on 20 million dollars, and then have the nerve to call 47% percent of the country leachers. Guess what. I make about 50k, and am paying close to 47% of my salary. Mitt can shove his 47% where the sun doesn't shine. BTW, are you getting your hypothetical Jeep from China?

November 2, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |

5 Swiss Bank Accounts.. Check

November 3, 2012 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
        • R. Pastrano

Right on" brother!!

November 3, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • Craig

Do you donate 15% of your income to charity? I did not think so. We had a democrat controlled congress from 2006 to 2011. I don't remember any bills to modify the tax code. I guess it is only. Priority when politicians need to find. Straw man.

November 3, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gordo24

If you only have income from capital gains on investments the top rate is 15%, just like warren buffet, etc. if Obama had gains from investments his tax rate on that portion would be 15% as well. Just like someone having $40,000 in income and paying 0 taxes, just like Romney both are following the tax code.

Do not be mad that Romney obeyed the tax code, just be mad he only paid $3,000,000 in taxes and gave $3,000,000 to charity. Get a grip Really. Be more concerned with 1.5 trillion deficits and how much you pay.

November 4, 2012 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
      • pop

Because he is just following the existing tax laws you ignorant moron.

November 4, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

.Brilliant?
      Puhlease.

November 3, 2012 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • ElmerGantry

When was Romney being honest?

When he was for Romneycare as governor or later said he would repeal Romneycare on day one, while campaigning, as president or now when he stated he likes parts of Romneycare?

Which one of these Romneys was the honest one?

November 3, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • R. Pastrano

You are wrong on all counts" including Brilliant woman. The biggest laugh is, who the real liar is and Romney's honesty.

November 3, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

@BrilliantWoman. Here, here!
      Spoken like a true male poster sitting by a computer at the Romney campaign office in Wichita, KS

November 3, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lorraine

CAN NOT BELIEVE YOU CALL YOURSELF BRILLIANT WOMAN.... I hope that all the law that the Republicans want to put into place does come back and bite you. I guess.. you are hoping that you will never be raped.. and an old white man says you can not have an Abortion .. you are hoping that Romney will make sure you get paid more... you are hoping that if your life was in danger so OLD white man will let you have an Abortion... I am over 65 and I do not believe that the Romney and Ryan will keep my Medicare the way it is... AND I AM NOT SELFISH TO ONLY CARE THAT AS LONG AS A """GET MINE"" I DO NOT CAN ABOUT THE 50+ YEAR OLDS THAT WILL NOT HAVE ANY THING.....

November 5, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. Hugh Jass

I had a friend who was brought up Mormon and didn't believe in it. His parents never forgave him for not taking two years off to ride around on a bike telling people stuff he didn't believe. It shadowed his whole life and was brought up at his funeral, where they claimed he went to some other planet besides Kolob when he died because of it. They were nice people, but they believe horrendous crazy fables and had no problem spurning their son because of them. Me, I'd take my son"s side even if God came down in person with a fiery sword to challenge me for it. No Mormons or Libertarians for me; they are ideologues and dangerously convinced of their own correctness.

November 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Hugh Jass

Johns should be prosecuted as accessories to prostitution.

November 2, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. VA

Man here. There's absolutely no evidence that Romney can magically fix the economy. These Romney/Ryan supporters who think he has a good story to tell about economics are operating from unproven assumptions.

You want to fix the economy? Maybe the entire GOP platform shouldn't come down to "We hate women" and "Obama must be a one term president." That's not leadership.

Oh, and don't get me started on the debt limit thing. Threatening to not pay your bills is not a good idea.

This is not the GOP I remember joining in the 80s.

November 2, 2012 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Craig

Maybe, but there is evidence that Obama/Biden can create debt and economic stagnation.

November 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mark

Obama/Biden can't take all the credit. It wouldn't really have been possible without the completely obstructionist Republicans who were brave enough to put the best interests of America aside for the noble goal of making Obama a 1-term president. We all have to be impressed by their bravery and commitment to stalling progress and constricting growth for petty political points.

November 3, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Thinks2010

I grew up in a politically mixed family. My father and one brother were conservatives and my mother and other brother were liberals. I am a liberal. My father was critically ill in the hospital on election night and my liberal brother and I were visiting him. Even though he knew we were both at the opposite political end of the spectrum from him, he told us we should take time to go vote. Fortunately, we had already voted so we got continue our visit because he passed away the next morning. I always appreciated the kind of respect that our family had for each other that was represented by my father's insistence that we should vote despite our political differences. This country would be a much better place if everyone felt as he did.

November 1, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  17. mike

gay rights and healthcare sheeeeez thank goodness my wife has a brain.

she knows without a job you don't eat and you don't have a roof over your head!

November 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass

" thank goodness my wife has a brain" You just said she had to ask you how to vote. What brain? My wife's a genius so I can't really identify with your problem.

November 2, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Siara Delyn

I've known women who made their campaign donations secret because they were scared of their husbands.

ATTN ladies.... once you're in the voting booth, it's you and your conscience. Voting for what you believe is the right thing to do.

November 1, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

Ladies if you watch The View, you no doubt think Obama is brilliant. Here's news for you. He's not brilliant and neither are you.

November 1, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • ROFLMAO

Did you hear that? Do what Mitt says! Back to the kitchen and make me some pie!

November 2, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary Ellen

My husband & I have a political division but we love each other enough not to let political differences of opinions end our marriage.

He clearly knows my presidential choice so I do not have to hide my choice because I am a woman that has her own mind and not follow my husband's lead just to keep peace in the family.

November 1, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  19. the women are coming... the women are coming

if only universal suffragists would have known that all they do is talk about their vaginas. enough already ladies,the whole debate is on the narrow scope of whether government should be involved in borrowing money to fund abortion and contraception, not about private people's ability to get these things for themselves. you ladies have really become selfishly base

November 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

If the biggest issue for ladies is what's between their legs and not what is between their ears it speaks volumes about the ability of women to cast an informed vote.

November 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Thinks2010

Like men never make decisions based on concerns about what's between their legs.

November 1, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • Hugh Jass

Mike – let's vote on mandatory circumcisions for grown men, based on a review by a panel on whether you need some taken off the end. See how fast you get in line to vote for that. How about if we fix it so you lose a testicle if you are convicted of a crime? See, what's down there can be 'on the table' pretty quick once the principle of 'state owns it' is established. I'm no starry-eyed libertarian, but the fewer laws, the better on certain issues.

November 2, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
        • Help my penis!

No!! Don't whack the end of my tallywhacker off!

November 2, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Raquela2020

It is not about public money. It's about even having the option to make personal, private decisions. You know...CHOICE!

November 2, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Charlie

Is it just me, or is it a bit odd that a Libertarian wants the government to fix the economy for them...

November 1, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • you're living a pipe dream

no he wants government to get out of the way and not do things like make laws that force employers to provide healthcare and other expensive benefits that might make an employer hesitant to hire labor

November 1, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass

I've lost my respect for libertarians based on Rand Paul; they talk purty but it's as cruel as communism when they show their cards. L. Neil Smith is the only one who has any perspective.

November 2, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  21. jim

Now you see why women should not be allowed to vote or preach in church...

November 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barry Robb

Hey Jim GO FUCK YOURSELF

November 1, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • chwingnut

Where is the like button?

November 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Hugh Jass

Hey Jim, with a splintery broom handle.

November 2, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
        • nunya

LOL! but I disagree with you.... turn it around: bristles first!

November 2, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • pop

Ya, you would probably like to watch wouldn't you Barry ?

November 4, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Siara Delyn

because they have a conscience?

November 1, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

Hey Jim....What Barry said x 2!

November 1, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Smart Woman

Any woman who votes for Romney has no respect for her own body and clearly considers herself inferior to men.

November 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smarter Husband

No offense, but that is the reason this country is in the situation it is in. My wife every election asks me who she should vote for because as an education career woman, she understands she makes emotion choices compared to my rational choices. Women are emotional, men are rational. Woman are not inferior to men, but there are certain aspects that men do better than woman, and vice versa. Accept it and move on. Politics are one of those things. I personally don't like either Obama or Romney, but WE will be voting for Romney because Obama has done nothing to help this company the past 4 years and he supports killing babies.

November 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • The Knight

Go back to dark ages and live there..... Your comment just shows how you see your wife and utter disregard she must feel in her choices she would otherwise make. You sir belong in Dark ages...

November 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ian

Maybe Obama didn't do much to help "this company" you speak of; but he's done wonders for our country.

Oh yeah, and....your wife is a teacher and you are the smart one?....dammm! Huh, are you by any chance from one of the "bible belt" states?

November 1, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
        • chwingnut

Not all of us from the bible belt states are such troglodytes, it is just the idiots are the ones that seem to speak the loudest.

November 1, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Oh so its a smart contest?

oh the old women are unstable emotionally argument....are you kidding, women can think JUST as logically and rationally as men, talk to any neuroscientist that actually knows....

Also who is to say that having a little damn emotion when it comes to making a choice is such a bad thing. It is thoughts like yours which pervade our society and belittle women (without making us inferior right?!?!?! So No offense right!?!?!?! we aren't inferior just less able to make rational choices separate of emotion)

I have seen PLENTY of men be irrational and I have seen PLENTY of women be irrational... to claim that men are the more rational thinkers based on the fact that women have more highly developed emotional centers, nice try. In fact I was able to calmly write this without calling you a jackass in fact I kept my emotions in check...but oops too late there goes those emotions oh no....brain shutting down, must smash, sooooo angry, now i'll go cry.

November 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • mike

married to a woman from the soviet union. tough as nails, smart and sees Obama's ideas for the pile of garbage they are. she's seen the story before and does not want it for our kids.

November 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
        • Hugh Jass

Mike, you are married to Orly Taitz? God help you. Is your wife upset about what Obama has actually done or what PRAVDA, I mean FOXNEWS, claims? There's a huge difference. If I moved to Russia, I wouldn't know the language well enough to spot lies and innuendo. I can parse Deutsch very slowly, but I can't hear sarcasm or humor in it.

November 2, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • just another voice

Let me get this straight... you want someone to do something for your company and that is the entire basis of your vote? As a superior male, why don't you use your top-shelf rationale and fix it yourself instead of relying on the gov't to make things so much easier at the expense of the greater good. Sounds LAZY AND IRRESPONSIBLE. Also, you would entrust your company's well fare (pun very much intended) to a man who spent an entire career running a corporate chop-shop, tearing apart other businesses and selling their parts to the highest bidder (usually CHINA)? The right wing has for years torn aparrt flip floppers on the left, making as much political hay as possible off this issue. Yet when they run a man who cannot even stand HIS OWN RECORD, they look the other way. This scum bag won't even release his tax records, yet the right rails for a birth certificate and, upon getting one, declare it fake because they are sore losers (emphasis on LOSERS). I simply don't understand republicans. I am a Christian, and I simply want to help all my fellow citizens. Why is it that the party claiming the closest affiliation with my Lord and Savior seem the furthest away from his TEACHINGS? Politics as a whole disgust me, yet the politics of the Right and their hypocracy confound me. This has become more of a rambling screed that I intended it to be, yet this is what you get from a woman. Oh wait, I am a six foot three, 245 lbs male LEO. Go figure. I agree w/ the Go F yourself mentality from the previous commenter. Back to one of my original points, though, it appears that EVERYONE is looking for some type of handout from the government. Only some of us can openly admit it, though. The rest are in denial and distract from this fact by throwing deceptive comments at the other side. The republicans have no true identity and will flip flop on every promise they have made this campaign season. Remeber, they are the ones who spent us into this current mess from 2001-2008 (CONGRESS), and they are the ones who refuse to give even an inch when appraoched with ANY legislation (thanks TEA PARTY neophites). Dems aren't that much better, but at least they have an identity. Thier is not the party of Christ (ha ha) and the party of coporate GREED (don't these go so well together?). Oh yeah, I forgot GUN NUTS! Jesus loves those who tote because it is their right. A gun is a tool with OLY ONE USE: KILLING. Christ loves handguns. Ok. I'm done. Come and get me, you ill informed ghestapo swine!

November 1, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
        • nunya

Sure, I'll bite. About your very last comment: umm.. tag, you're it.

So, starting off from your 1st item: by "doing something to help his company" I would take that to mean "undo what the previous administration did and bring it back to an effective nothing". I can't speak for him though, so that's just a guess (as was yours).

Second point: Back when Bain was doing that, EVERYONE was doing that. There are "trends" you might call them in business – that was one of them. If you held stocks during that timeframe, you also helped send jobs over seas... just so you're aware of the blame you also share.

Third point: ALL POLITICIANS LIE. Get over it! Are you naive enough to think Obama hasn't said one thing and done another? They are both politicians – the lowest form of human life. Get over it and vote for the smallest loser – because they're both losers.

Fourth point: If I was running for President, I wouldn't release my tax records either – what the hell business is it of yours?

Fifth point: Manditory birth control for the Catholic Church. Government requiring a religious institution to violate its principles? Yeah... 'cause the DNC gives a damn about religious principles.

Not even a point: who the hell cares what your gender or zodiac sign is?

Sixth point: I don't want any handouts from government. I want nothing more than for government to leave me the hell alone. Me and mine can take care of ourselves just fine thank you.

Seventh point: Gasp! Politicians flip-flopping and lieing? Say it ain't so! (see Third Point).

Eighth point: Currently there is extremism in both parties. The moderate Americans have been squeezed to the sidelines or pushed out entirely. This is happening in BOTH parties – this is bad, very bad.

Ninth point: Yes they do have an identity... unfortunately it's the same Socialist identity as outlined by the Communist Party in 1963. And here's a news-flash for most of you... There're Socialists in the Rep. party too... Take a look at some U.S. Government records regarding the stated goals of the Communist Party:
          Congressional Record–Appendix, pp. A34-A35, January 10, 1963: Current Communist Goals
          Look that up some time. Pay special interest to Item 15. (while you're at it, glance over all the other items and tally up how many have already come to pass... interesting, don't you think?)

Tenth point: who cares? At least they pay lip-service to having values. The DNC doesn't even do that. They just pretend to care about people, then pass legislation that inevitably causes issues, later on down the road. The reason that's their tactic is because most people don't put 2 and 2 together – so they blame the GOP when they try to fix the issue. (I too don't think either party has any saints in it, though)

Eleventh point: A gun is a tool. It has a few uses. One of them is killing. Stemming from that is its greatest use: Fear of killing. If someone knows you're armed, they won't be as likely to mess with you. Whether that other "someone" is a criminal or a government doesn't matter. Those are the stated reasons Thomas Jefferson gave for its inclusion in the Bill of Rights. ( very similar to Cesare Beccaria of northern Italy in the mid 1700's. – look them both up. )

So anyways... Tag! You're it!

November 2, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • Hugh Jass

"No offense" and you are wrong about that, too. I bet your wife smiles and says "yes dear, you're so smart" and then votes however she pleases. Your wife is probably posting somewhere right now that she has to manipulate you into voting her way because you just go by talk on the radio if she doesn't make you discuss it, because men aren't very good at politics . . .

November 2, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
      • Mark

Please tell me you are just kidding. You're comment is simply too stupid to be legitimate. If not, please do not procreate and pass your stupidity down to future generations. It's bad enough that you have shared it so shamelessly in public.

November 3, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • LF

Have to disagree, smart woman. As another smart woman, I have respect for my body and my intelligence – but also have respect for the value of life, for the tremendous privileges I have in this country, and don't think the shahada
      (the islamic prayer call) is "the most beautiful sound on earth", nor do I believe it is the government's responsibility to take what I earn to "spread the wealth". I give generously, and prefer to choose my own charities. Not my only reasoning, but part of it.

November 3, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • DesertRat

If you think Obama actually cares about women's issues, you're delusional. Obama cares about getting re-elected. Am I a Romney fan? No. Kinda annoyed he's the best my party could come up with, to be honest. Better than another four years of spin and obstinate partisanship, though. I'm a woman, by the way, and I know for a fact that my family is worse off than before Obama began his term.

November 4, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  23. S McQ

Lame article that explains nothing. Dig deeper before you post.

November 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  24. KJ

How can you let her cancel your vote out? Seriously, control your woman!

November 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

So.... you single or "Stepford Wife?"

November 1, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Knight

And here we thought only in third world countries people thought this way....

November 1, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  25. DC

Actually, only a third of adult men and women are married in this country compared to two-thirds a few generations ago. How's that for a 'divide' ...?

November 1, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
1 2

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 118 other followers