CNN Profiles: The wealthiest coach you've never heard of
After spending many profitable years on Wall Street, college football coach Joe Moglia returned to the job he loves.
November 30th, 2012

CNN Profiles: The wealthiest coach you've never heard of

By Michael Schulder, CNN

Follow on Twitter: @Schuldercnn

(CNN) – This afternoon – the wealthiest coach you've never heard of will be taking the college football team you've never heard of to a playoff game they were not expected to make.

In fact, given his path in life, it's hard to believe Joe Moglia, at this stage in his life, has finally achieved his dream of being a head coach.

But when you listen to his voice (in the player above) and to the obstacles he has overcome and about the doors he opened for himself despite the fact that, as he put it, he had the wrong "pedigree," you'll know why Coach Moglia can inspire young men on the football field and off. In fact, Moglia's life story provides a lesson for us all in the value of pursuing the things in life you're passionate about - and having the patience to see them through.

When you listen to his words flow, it's hard to imagine the speech hurdle he had to overcome, which he movingly describes in this interview.

It's hard to imagine the work it took to break through the doors of a world of finance so far removed from the son of a poor Italian grocer.

To all of us parents who wish great things for their children, and to all of us who still have dreams, Joe Moglia is a reminder of the X factor necessary to fulfill those dreams.

You'll hear that X factor in Moglia's voice. You'll hear the inner drive. The honesty about one's strengths and shortcomings. And more. On this edition of CNN Profiles.
Subscribe to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher. And listen to CNN Profiles on our SoundCloud page.

Posted by ,
Filed under: CNN Profiles • Culture • Sports • Voices
  1. Geogiant

So how much do the pay him? Where did his money come from? Major holes here. The links only go to his twitter account not a backstory.

December 2, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

...it said wall street. And that is how he got his money...college football is his passion. Comprehensive reading has gone out the window.

December 2, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. [day|days|calendar|list of date|about|more]

My brother suggested I would possibly like this website. He was totally right. This publish actually made my day. You cann't consider simply how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

December 2, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. walkthetalk2

Usually I feel that people have no right to make opinions of journalism from their couches but I agree with most of you. HORRIBLE ARTICLE. I'm assuming we have to GUESS where he coaches. FAIL.

December 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duh

His school is named in the 1st 30 seconds of the podcast

December 2, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • pmmarion

Well Duh... I didn't listen to the podcast... this article is a FAILURE!!!!!

December 2, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. quig

Hey, Schulder, you screwed up so shut up. When you have to write an explanation of your little "article" you know you screwed up. Not naming the school was ridiculous. The podcast button is above your article so people naturally scroll "down" not up to find it [the podcast].

December 2, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. TK

After reading the article, I still do not know where he coaches football. I guess I need to click a link or Google the man to find out more since that crappy article did not give much information.

December 2, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • jackbear24

Coastal Carolina University-@ 10 miles from Myrtle Beach SC

December 2, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. Alisa

Wonderful and very inspirational man.

December 2, 2012 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. digger

Amazing. An article with no facts or substance.

December 2, 2012 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Alisa

You seem very uneducated.

December 2, 2012 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. Tyler

Seriously Michael... keep up the good work. This comment thread is blowing my mind.

December 2, 2012 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • batjones

Tyler, part of the reason for the negative comments with this item is that the length gives it the appearance of a real article, instead of as an introduction to an audio-cast. I have not encountered that many audio-casts on CNN, and would have missed it if not for all of the comments. Many of the video-casts only provide a two line introduction. The introduction for this story does inform the reader of the audio-cast "(in the player above)", but this might have been lost by most readers as poor editing, since the story was about a football coach, and implicitly football players. The word "player" should have been corrected to read "audio player" and hyperlinked. Also, Mr. Schulder could have informed the readers of what school Mr. Moglia coaches. For a 200 word introduction, Mr. Schulder and his editors could have provided the basic Who, What, Where, and When. The audio-cast would be perfect for obtaining the Why and How.

December 2, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
      • 50on50

Dear batjones: this is Michael Schulder, writer of the introduction on the page above and host of the interview with Joe Moglia on CNN Profiles. Thank you for your constructive criticism. Those commenters who seemed furious with what they thought was an article designed to tell a story rather than an introduction to a radio show that had to be heard either 1) didn't realize what commenter bjeff68 realized with his funny remark above:
        "um....dude, it's a podcast, not an article. You are supposed to click on the little red circle arrow underneath the picture above." or they simply had a really bad day and were easily angered. EIther way, fortunately, many thousands of people have clicked the audio play button and listened to the inspiriing story of Coach Joe Moglia. I hope you did listen. Either way, your comment is useful. You are correct that these CNN Radio Profiles and other CNN Radio programming on line is a relatively new thing so it may help to telegraph that fact more clearly and repeatedly so that we don't lose any potential listeners. I will remember that as we continue to do CNN Profiles every week. Again, batjones, thank you for the insight. And to all those who seemed so angry with the mistaken belief that my introduction to the radio show was a full article, I hope you will now listen to our interview with Coach Joe Moglia. Oh, Moglia's team, Coastal Carolina University, went into its game against Old Dominion yesterday big underdogs. They stayed very close and by the end of the third quarter it was anybody's game. then Old Dominion pulled away in the fourth quarter. This morning I emailed Coach Moglia to see what he learned and what lessons he hopes to transmit from yesterday's game. He called me back immediately. I hope to do a short followup interview with him that everyone will be able to click on and listen to. Judging from the audio interview that you can listen to above, I think Moglia will impart valuable wisdom in a follow up. And I always like to share the wisdom of others. That's the mission of CNN Profiles. Thanks. Michael Schulder

December 2, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
        • TK

You should of stated the school he coaches in your brief introduction. That is the main reason I clicked on the link to this "article" I mean introduction.

December 2, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
        • displacedmic

funny how virtually nobody agrees with this...

December 2, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tyler

Really inspiring interview...thanks for posting! Thankfully this guy has a better attitude that most of the folks posting on this comment thread. Click the audio above... it's an *audio interview, not an article.

December 2, 2012 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  10. Karina

Can't comment on the football aspect of the interview, but loved the business portion and the message of pursing whatever you are most passionate about. He overcame diversity and crafted his path to success. I found it inspirational.

December 2, 2012 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
    • hallo kittie

"He overcame diversity". Can I have this inscribed on my tombstone?

December 2, 2012 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
      • veedax

You know that diversity is such a hard thing. Anyone who overcomes it needs to feel proud.

December 2, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. Olaf Big

Seriously? People dream of becoming football coach? I always thought what this guys were making on the field is just disablilty pay for brain damage and lives devoid of any meaning...

December 2, 2012 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. MikeDeMan

It's a sound wave article, not a new article. Click the play button, and you'll get all the information you need, in about the first 10 seconds. Idiots.

December 1, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Foot_Ball_should_go_away

You cant do anything about it.These colledge coaches do nothing but take advantage of the billion dollar footbnall craze

December 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. khasmin45

Podcast or article is irrelevent, it totally sux!

December 1, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brian

Why do we have football in college ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

December 1, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

what are toothless southern inbreds supposed to do in college?

December 1, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • chad africa

Morons who aren't really "college material" are supposed to be there anyway to sell weed to real students, duh, not just play football.

December 1, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  16. chris

I'm very happy I'm not the only one who thought this was a horrible article. You could've at least mentioned where he coached. It's the "where" in the 5 W's.

December 1, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alisa

You seem very uneducated.

December 2, 2012 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  17. wizard

Another piece of crap CNN "article" that somehow passes for journalism

December 1, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  18. SkidMark

Crap...

December 1, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  19. navajowkb

On line and published media have been giving out teaser expecting you to subscribe. I don't fall for it anymore.

December 1, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Michael

Very misleading title meant to get you to buy into his sales pitch. "Weathiest" is not referring to money but rather spiritual wealth. He is the coach at Coastal Carolina, which gives you an idea of how successful he really is.

December 1, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  21. javaman

At the least, they could have said which *College or University* the man coached for. I realize this is just a teaser, but the omission of a basic piece of information like that is just stupid.

December 1, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • You lost me at "hello, I have a dearth of me"aningful information for you"

Seriously. I'm curious, but not going out of my way to find out such basic information. A "news" article should provide it. I'll continue not hearing or caring about this guy, I guess.

December 1, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
      • Duh !

19 seconds in to the interview it says he is the coach of the Carolina Coastal University Football Team

December 2, 2012 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Like where IS HE coaching ?

the WORST = JOURNALIST AND THE LIBERAL BIAS AND UNPRFESSIONALISM ...SEE IF I PURCHASE YOUR PUBS EVER !

December 1, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
      • worst article

i agree with everyone who says this article sucks because it truly does i cant believe people that writes shit like this have a job .. cnn you suck !!!

December 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • tribbles

Amazing...another right wingnut whinning and crying and then can't even use spell check....LOL LOL

December 2, 2012 at 4:32 am | Report abuse |
  22. Ed

This is literary quality??? Hogwash! This is filler material that conveys one single fact in 7 paragraphs, the coach's name. Apparently, the author of this little 'nothing' is paid by the number of words used, or the inches of column filled without regard to content. I say this because the lack of content is so glaringly apparent I actually found myself wishing that CNN had at least put some advertisement with at least a gleam of entertainment value in front of this so I would have gotten at least a modicum of value in response to my click of the mouse. As it turns out, I was just totally disappointed in both the misleading nature of the title of the piece as well as it's lack of meaningful content.

December 1, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • bjeff68

December 1, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Robert

Dude, why are you being such a douchebag? If you don't have anything positive to contribute, no one wants to read your complaining..Stop being a d-bag!

December 1, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
      • Vornado576

Thanks for clarifying, they would have been blaming Obama next.

December 1, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 118 other followers