Cyclists say 'good riddance' to Armstrong
The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency announced Thursday it will strip Lance Armstrong of seven Tour de France titles and ban the cyclist for life.
August 24th, 2012

Cyclists say 'good riddance' to Armstrong

By Steve Kastenbaum, CNN

(CNN) - The reaction to Lance Armstrong’s announcement that he would no longer fight doping allegations was about as fast as his record setting winning times at the Tour de France. Armstrong may be stripped of every title he ever won and faces being banned from all competition for the rest of his life.

Andy Shen is a writer for the cycling website, NY Velocity, and a competitive cyclist here in New York:

[1:20] “He did ride at a speed that has pretty much been shown to be impossible without drug enhancement. There’s been evidence of his doping. They had retroactively looked at his blood samples from 1999 and found traces of EPO in them… There’s so much evidence over time that you have to be pretty delusional to think that he was clean.”

Armstrong’s remaining supporters still believe he’s the victim of a witch hunt. They claim his achievements are the result of superhuman capabilities. Shen sees a silver lining in this:

[3:12] "Among competitive cyclists, the hope is that as the truth comes out the sport will be able to clean itself up and face its past. And, you know, it’s pretty much acknowledged that the sport is cleaner than it ever has been."

In saying that he was finished with this "nonsense" and would no longer address the issue, Armstrong still did not admit any wrongdoing. He may still claim innocence, but to many in the cycling world, it was as good as an admission of guilt.

What do you think?  Does Armstrong deserve a lifetime ban?  Ring in with your thoughts in the comment section below.

soundoff (1,207 Responses)
  1. UtahProf

When people can't equal a great athlete, they must tear them down to make themselves feel better. Pitiful. As a former cyclist, I will always be a fan, regardless of what kind of dirt they try and throw around.

August 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Lyons

That's how socialism works. All animals are created equal and must forcibly be kept equal.

August 25, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rebelde

Your comment sytsem ate my last comment and spit it back out in 2 parts.httperf –hog –timeout=60 –client=0/1 –server=localhost –port=10000 –uri=/ –rate=4000 –send-buffer=4096 –recv-buffer=16384 –num-conns=40000 –num-calls=1httperf: warning: open file limit > FD_SETSIZE; limiting max. # of open files to FD_SETSIZEMaximum connect burst length: 40Total: connections 40000 requests 39975 replies 20859 test-duration 114.926 sConnection rate: 348.0 conn/s (2.9 ms/conn, <=26959 concurrent connections) Connection time [ms]: min 233.0 avg 6634.8 max 72470.5 median 3327.5 stddev 9396.5 Connection time [ms]: connect 4989.3 Connection length [replies/conn]: 1.000Request rate: 347.8 req/s (2.9 ms/req) Request size [B]: 62.0Reply rate [replies/s]: min 0.0 avg 189.6 max 1384.3 stddev 392.4 (22 samples) Reply time [ms]: response 3230.8 transfer 0.0 Reply size [B]: header 38.0 content 5.0 footer 0.0 (total 43.0) Reply status: 1xx=0 2xx=20859 3xx=0 4xx=0 5xx=0CPU time [s]: user 2.43 sytsem 112.48 (user 2.1% sytsem 97.9% total 100.0%) Net I/O: 28.7 KB/s (0.2*10^6 bps)Errors: total 19141 client-timo 583 socket-timo 0 connrefused 0 connreset 18558 Errors: fd-unavail 0 addrunavail 0 ftab-full 0 other 0

September 3, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Fritz9346

I was doing business in Dallas many years back and spoke with a fellow who witnessed Armstrong taking a cardiovascular effeciency test. It seems his health club had just purchased this equipment and invited Armstrong to come down and be one of the first tested. He was off the scale. Indeed, he was a phonom. There should be some residual credit due the man. Under any assumptions, he did amazing things. Andy Sen remarks “He did ride at a speed that has pretty much been shown to be impossible without drug enhancement." But in fact, that is what phenoms do. And no matter how you cut it, Armstrong was a phenom.

August 25, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Le

That is very interesting. Thank you for sharing. Indeed, there are phenoms in every sport that leave even the best of the best n the dust- naturally. Phelps, Micheal Jordan, Roger Federer, etc.

August 26, 2012 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  3. CycleJay

Hi all,

This is what I think on the matter.
    The evidence that Lance Armstrong is concrete, he was "doped", he made a mistake true.
    But I think he should be stripped of the titles only IF he was doped at the time he was riding in those races.
    As for banning him for life, absolutely NOT, he should only be banned until he gets off the drugs,
    can stay off the drugs, and can prove it. It is not like he killed anyone.
    Also, as a former cyclist on many levels myself, I will NOT say "Good Riddance", I will support my brother on wheels until even after either of us get to that velodrome in the sky.
    He is a good man, he is human, he made a mistake, we all make mistakes. So it is time to forgive and forget.
    He has survived cancer, he has done alot of good for many people and still does.
    I will be the good Christian that I am and forgive him. Besides, Jesus once said..
    "He who is without sin, shall cast the first stone... " Any takers??

God bless Lance Armstrong...

I will continue to Livestrong myself, thanks to Lance Armstrong... Enough said, Good day,

CJ

August 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cat

So how does he prove he is drug free? By being tested on a regular basis? Yea they did that. Over 500 times!

August 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • gakster

This is among the most ignorant bilge I have read yet regarding this article. God abhors Armstrong's arrogance as much as he does your gullibility.

August 25, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • gakster

CycleJay, are you really this stupid, or is it just an act to even further disgrace Lance, his sycophants, and the non-sport of cycling?

August 25, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • InMyHappyPlace

He has passed every test they have thrown at him. Where do you get this idea that they have proved he has doped? An accusation from a loser is NOT evidence.

August 25, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • gakster

FROM a loser? Armstrong is one of the biggest losers ever.

August 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Larry

Even Floyd Landis, one of Lance's accusers who was also stripped of his title for doping said "I saw him inject himself all the time–we all did"

I'd agree with Landis–I'm sure most if not all of the cyclists during Lance's reign did dope. It was the thing to do back then, everybody tried to gain an edge. So if they were all doing it according to Landis, why are the other medal winners not being persecuted and losing their titles?

My guess is simple jealousy. They could not keep up with Lance despite their using banned substances. Lance was just better than the rest of them, trained harder, and was blessed with the perfect anatomy for cycling–like his unusually long femurs for example, which gave him greater leverage while climbing.

Lance is right, this was a witch hunt, and I will never again watch a Tour de France because of it. I hope no one does.

August 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • thejumping1

Great perspective, sir. I too, have had enough of the TDF, and after being bored watching Team Sky and Wiggins, I have no desire to follow any of it anymore.

August 25, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. paul

We tell teens: "Just say no to drugs:"

But some of the same folks defend and support a doping cheat and liar.

August 25, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Hal

Actually, his tests did result in positive for EPO and elevated testosterone, but after the tests were refined. There's no question he used drugs, but so did all of the others. The field was level and he deserved the win. Now let's keep the sport clean and forget the past.

August 25, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. robert

you have nfl players who are 6'8' 360 and can run a 4.8. 40. that is super human? is everyone in that class cheaters? bottonline, you have a lot of cyclist who are pissed they LOST now they have an escape goat for losing. oh.... how can a guy past over 500 test and now one test, which in it self could be off, proofs the guy guilty? suck it up all non winning cycle.

August 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

My thought is that if they have no hard evidence that there was any doping going on then the investigation needs to be closed. No matter what some people think, just the story of his rebounding from cancer and putting in the enormous effort and sacrifice to get where he did is nothing short of a miracle. I can understand the enormous toll continued litigation takes on someone and believe he is DONE with the whole thing. I do not take this as admission of guilt. This is a very critical and judgmental society always willing to believe the worst about everyone. I say - show me the evidence or shut up!!

August 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mary

I know a parent of a competitive rider and he told me that the riders do blood draws in the off season when they are clean , then store it until they have to submit the samples when riding ( and doping ) .

I'm not sure how common it is tho , anyone else know how prevalent it is ?

August 25, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Steve Lyons

Lance and Obama are both arrogant pieces of fecal material. I wish them both gone.

August 25, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill in Florida

F uc kyou

August 25, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nissim Levy

You are an idiot.

August 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • pistol pete

What a fool u are? the fact that talk is cheap don't mean you should run your dirty mouth. You F......G crack pot!

August 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • RAM

What does this article have to do with Obama?

August 25, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LanceismyGod

My Lance coudnt has dun it. He ride a fast bike. So dat mean he coudnt possbly be cheeter. No wun hoo ride bike reel fast could be a cheeter. And he dated that singer chick too so that mean he not a cheeter. I like Lance and I can bearly reed or rite and no absolutly nothin about all that legal mumbo jumbo, just like most of yu idoits so we all must beleiv that Lance, hour hero, never cheeted. Cuz he ride bike reel fast over the mountains in France.

August 25, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Lyons

He cheated on his wife and children, why could he not cheat at sports too.

August 25, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry

How ridiculous. By your logic, every person who has ever cheated was also using drugs. Oh please.

August 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • gakster

Armstrong should run for office; he would have a phenomenal career. He already has all the requisite personality traits.

August 25, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. suzique

Cyclists, or a bunch of haters? After being tested 500 times during the time that he was actually racing, they managed to solve the mystery after some other cyclists who were under criminal investigation for actual doping decided to roll on someone. The USADA then probably went to these other cyclists on the team and beat them over the head with a threat of prosecution if they didn't roll on Lance, because, after all, they had all of this "evidence" that they are lying if they didn't say that Lance was doping and they could be prosecuted for hindering an investigation, perjury, or conspiracy. Just look at what happened to Roger Clemens. If they can't get you for actual doping, then they can order you to testify before Congress under the guise that they need some information about doping and prosecute you for perjury. Why in Christ's name would Congress need to call Roger Clemens in for his two cents about doping when there are so many other problems in this country?

Same thing here. I can't fault Lance for "backing down" because he is being a realist. Arbitration is notorious for being a lopsided kangaroo court. Just ask the consumers that lose when banks and corporations choose their own arbitrator to settle a dispute.

August 25, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • martyr2

You make some great points and even if he was doping and they didn't catch it over the said 500 times, who should really be at fault? The doping agency in charge of catching this stuff. It should be seen as a "oops we made a mistake 500 times" and leave him with his titles. Fine, put an asterisk next to his name with a footnote that he was under suspicion, but he is retired and let him be. Work better next time to catch doping.

August 25, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sell vps, vps gia re, vps khung, vps pro, dich vu vps, vps us, vps vip, share vps, free vps, vps free

obviously like your web site but you need to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very troublesome to tell the reality on the other hand I'll definitely come again again.

August 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Pam

I do not follow any one sport but have read about this issue periodically for many yrs. My understanding is that he was randomly tested many times without any warning and was clean every time.). I understand why people would think he was gulity because he is giving up but on the other hand he has been fighting this for yrs. The only people who are getting rich are the lawyers. On balance he has done many good things for people. Let it alone.

August 25, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Miro

We create champions, we destroy champions. Its amazing how similar is power abuse if I compare my birth country, from which I ran away many years ago, and current USA, where I reside now. If Lance Armstrong took PED, in my eyes, everybody took PED in that time, he was still the best from all of them; if he did not, he was the best from them all. If USADA strip him from all those wins, who is going to get first place – everybody down the scale doped. One more thing, I really would like to know who controls how much and where money are distributed from my tax cut. Again, it remind me my old country, pay and shut up. It is dangerous route USA is taking for last 20 or so years and it can end up very nasty.

August 25, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Lyons

The media created Obama, maybe they will do us a favor and destroy him now.

August 25, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Kate

Your remark is idiotic and has nothing to do with this story. Go home little troll and try to grow some cerebral matter!!!

August 25, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. SKM

I think the US Government needs to spend a little money to investigate the USADA. They need to take all the number "2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th place finishers from all those years and go back and have them tested, just as they did Lance Armstrong. I guarantee you that the 10 who were going to "testify" as to Lance Armstrong's drug use, are in a position of moving up in the rankings. Oh, but wait a second here, those 10 don't have to be tested now do they? Weren't they given immunity? Witch hunt? I'd say so. Unfair? You bet it is. Criminal on the part of the USADA? It darn well should be!

August 25, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Paul

He has moved on. His LiveStrong Foundation raises millions to support research and service to cancer survivors. Whether he used EPO or not I cannot know. I do know he has helped millions of people in concrete, lifelong ways. The assumptions that people will draw upon his guilt or innocence from his withdrawal are an embarrassment to him but the number of other people hurt in a crucial way are few. Conversely, he can stand tall with pride for his legacy of inspiration and service to cancer survivors and patients with what appear incurable cancers. I'm going to make another donation to LiveStrong in his honor.

August 25, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

Livestrong hasn't given money to cancer research in years. Their main product is something called "hope", but not research for cures or treatments.

August 25, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • MC

Livestrong does not claim to support cancer research. They have made that policy clear on their website. They do, however, support many survivorship programs. As an oncologist, this is just as important.

August 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Observer

Armstrong is a liberal stooge. We should only expect this from the far left party of hate.

August 25, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. HT

My god people, it's just a cycling race and an extremely booooring cycling race to boot! Yes, I know it's all about endurance and being in fantastic shape etc ad naus but still a pointless endeavour. Move on!

August 25, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • AshannaK

I agree with HT. Let's get on with life. Surely there are more urgent things to worry about besides
      Lance Armstrong and whether he did or didn't. And Jeff, look at your ugly face in the mirror and
      remember when you point one finger at someone, you point three back at yourself. Get a shave;
      you might find that there's a human under all that idiocy. I doubt it, but you never know.

August 25, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • happyfrenchman

SPeak for yourself. It is not boring unless you are a potato chip addicted couch lump. It is actually alot more interesting than the NFL or Major League Baseball... But you probably just see it as another channel between Oprah and Blossom.

August 25, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rasheel

If we combine the vrabel and non-verbal indicators in this interview, which is just over two minutes long, we find there are at least 25 deceptive indicators exhibited by Armstrong. There actually may be even more non-verbals that the camera angle precludes us from observing. This is obviously a very high volume, and strongly suggests that Armstrong was not being candid with respect to his use of performance-enhancing substances.

September 3, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  19. edco

Lance is wrong. Read the application form signed and submitted to compete in any Olympic, Tour, World Cup, US Cyc Fed,or Tri-ath event. Read it! You take an oath. It is about sportsmanship, fair play, disclosure, and everybody agrees to the rules (or you stay in Austin, Texas.) Every cyclist disciplined or banned was processed by the same officiating Armstrong is subject to. He is tired of the process? What process, he has never attended one hearing, he refuses to read see or hear the evidence collected. He is a no show. One set of rules for Lance, one set for everyone else. I have competed in cycling events, I have seen jagoffs cut corners bend rules and reshape the competition into something that is an insult to fair play. To the supporters of Lance: the fellow may be a legend in your mind-that is the only place, he is no exemplar of sportsmanship. The USADA has the burden of proof that Lance failed the fair play rules. Lance by his sworn signature on the form is bound to attend the hearing, It is basic, if he does not show, regardless of the evidence, be it true or be it false he is disqualified form the competition. The notion that Lance is above the hearing because he will lose is obsurd, he could win also. That is where and how the other disciplined athletes went down or were exonerated. Where is Lance. In federal court in Austin Texas saying the hearing violates his constitutional rights. The athlete by sworn signature on the entrant form agreed to governing body authority without reservation. If you don't play by the rules, don't play the game.
    Should the St. Louis Cardinals take Don Denkinger and MLB to a Federal Court because Don blew a call in the '85 series? No you play by and agree to and live with the rules, that is essence of sport. Judge Sam Sparks in Austin has it right. He wrote that unless Armstrong can prove that USADA is capricious in enforcement, gives other athletes passes, or is corrupt in it's officiating of the sport, the US Federal court system has no knowledge of cycling, and no jurisdiction to officiate the competition. What is Lance tired of? The CHARADE and that is all. Good day and good luck. Edco

August 25, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peter

Yep. Spot on.

August 25, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  20. DOUG

The USADA is made up of people who value the lives of their families, don't blame them, this administration hands down a command you do it, unless you wish to end up like a certain US Border Patrol agent.
    Obama sure plays by the playbook of his greatest idol, chairman Mao, funny that Mao would be considered a blue dog Democrat compared to the likes of OBama and Pelosi, no not really, dead Americans and people punished for their political views is not funny, just ask the widow and sons of the border patrol agent that Obama and Holder killed.

August 25, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wimshurst

Sigh – you really are a loon, "DOUG." There's nothing too low for you to use to try and smear Obama with – never mind that USADA has nothing to do with the administration. You drag in every bit of stewpidity you ever heard from your fellow clowns.

Good lord, what a waste you are.

August 25, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • Shahid

My guess would be no, Walmart does not, since they're a retailer and not a mcnufaaturer, but I'd be willing to bet that many of their suppliers do. A purchase order from Walmart would be a great letter of credit with these factoring businesses since payment would be almost completely assured. If your business is in its infancy as is that of my friend's, in the current credit environment this route is probably the only way to go. The difficulty is in getting that purchase order in the first place though.

September 3, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • AB

Kind of stupid to inject politics into this argument.

August 25, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • billybsea

Yo, Doug. I see you got those teabagger, reichwing shock jock talking points down, don't ya?

August 25, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ernest

Off the old medication again Doug?

August 25, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

yea... and don't forget Herman Melville for creating a fear of the white sperm wale.... What exactly does Obama and Pelosi have to do with this??

August 25, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norse1990

Doug, Will you lay equal (or greater) guilt at the feet of George Bush for over 100,000 dead resulting from the Iraqi war in which not a single WMD was found?

August 25, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert M

Dude, you should cut down on the meth....

August 25, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • pauleky

DOUG, what color is the sky in your world? I'm guessing it's clouded by the likes of Limbaugh, Hannity, et al. You're delusional. Please get help.

August 25, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Doug...wtf...how can you turn this into a personal diatribe against Obama...jeeez. Stick to the subject if you want anyone beside neoconservative nutjobs to listen.

August 25, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyler

This comments section is full of more willful ignorance than the suburbs of Auschwitz.

August 25, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • gakster

Doug, you need to talk with your psychiatrist about adjusting your dosage, or changing your medication entirely. The schizophrenia has returned with a vengeance.

August 26, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  21. wrenthefaceless

CNN being paid off by the USADA or what?

August 25, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Arne Riemers

I think we should dig up Fausto Coppi from his grave and see if we can find traces of something in his hair too. What a witch hunt to single out a single rider of that era and a man who gave and gives hope to many millions. Stop the witch hunt

August 25, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Done with Cycling

As a cancer survivor myself, I acknowledge that I am a huge Lance fan. He is the only reason I followed competive cycling. While I have always wanted to believe Lance was clean, the bottom line is that I don't care if he was or not. It look to me like everyone was doing something to gain a competive advantage. The money wasted by USADA is unbelievable. All it has done is convinced me to stop following the sport. I will still follow Lance Armstrong.

August 25, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Calcommuter

He won seven tour de frances IN A ROW. You could look at it two ways. He was the best in the world at racing for seven years and did it with training and while he was battling cancer. OR, he was the best in the world at racing for seven years and did it juicing like all the others, but did it better. If he was stripped of all his wins, none of the other top finishers would get the prize because they were all caught juicing! And one is dead! Only one way down the line hasnt been caught. As a rider who took up the sport because of Lance, show the positive tests or shut up!

August 25, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Jason

This issue sucks. Did he use drugs or did he not use drugs to win? It has never been proven so it is only a matter of personal theory in each of us. Until such a time as it can be proven we should be deferring to "innocent until proven guilty" I do find it disheartening that so many individuals are quick to discount that. Say or think what you wish but without proof do you really want an organization to have the ability to pass judgement and take away until the answer is proven? Making any individual go through inquiries constantly without actual proof is, in my opinion, the real crime here. Do I think he did? It seems more than likely that he did. Would I want to be convicted of my own admission of more than likely? No. I think this is why we have the clause of proof beyond a shadow of doubt. I do not think any of us would want to have our property or well being removed from us because people simply do not like us or thought we were doing something wrong.

August 25, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  26. creolegator

The whole sport reeks! Who is competing that doesn't or hasn't doped?

August 25, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Peter

"IF" he were innocent as he contends he would have had nothing to lose by challenging the evidence. Stop putting him on a pedestal of innocence – he has both the money and time to defend himself and chose not to do so. Notwithstanding, he has been a terrific inspiration for cancer victums and no one can take that away from him.

August 25, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

How many times would you will be willing to do so without actual proof? If a coworker thought you got a promotion over them and said you had padded your numbers without evidence how often would you be willing to sit and answer for the numbers? Every time someone felt slighted by you they said the same thing. Every time you are brought back to your boss to go over those same numbers. At some point you will become fed up with it and find another job. (obviously everyone has different tolerances for this type of thing). I do not begrudge him for saying enough is enough. I do find a flaw in the system that allows this behavior without new actual proof of wrong doing.

August 25, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • gakster

Lance Armstrong epitomizes the crassness, the arrogance, the ignorance, the self-absorbed corporate posing that now permeates our society. He doesn't give a crap- that's why he gave up. He's made his money, dumped his ball-and-chain wife, and is now living the shallow high-society life he always wanted.

August 25, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Locomotion

You need to put your head back down in the sand! Where have you been? He's been fighting these allegations since 2000! He's never been caught in a positive drug test! Now you're gonna twell me that he's smarter than all of the scientests that they have regulating this sport? That's just plain crazy! He's the MOST tested athlete of his day and not once has he ever popped positive for any banned drug! He trained harder than anyone else in his sport and he won where he did his training, in the mountains!

August 25, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jacques

Nothing to lose? you're kidding...? He has both the money and time? That's quite an assumption. He may be well off financially, but I'm sure he thinks the time and effort it would take to follow through with this witch hunt is energy better spent elsewhere benefitting mankind. As far as doping goes....do you think that if Armstrong was doping, he was the only one? Even if he was doping...he also was a gifted, one of a kind, athlete. Even if he was a doping athlete (though countless tests show otherwise)...... he was a doping athlete among doping athletes.

August 25, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Beverley

After being cleared several times, now the threat is to strip the prizes from SEVEN years ago? This is crazy and absurd. Many thousands never gave a rip about the Tour de France before and hopefully it will go back to that again. It smells like a witch hunt and I am disgusted that CNN is so blatantly biased on this question. Armstrong has had an amazing racing career. He is not a wonderful person, but the talent is undeniable. He is the most recognizable name in cycling worldwide. This is the end to high regard that this sport had finally achieved.

August 25, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  29. marcusthejulian

The article was titled "cyclists say 'good riddance'" and was followed by a quote from a single cyclist slamming him and one supporting him. Huh? Dumb title.

August 25, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cat

Thankyou! What an absurd title for an article! Not too bias CNN?

August 25, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Cat

Also Miguel Indurain, who has won 5 Tours, came out and said Lance should keep his titles until some of the other agencies who govern cycling produce proof. He said this whole effort by the USADA is very strange. Keep in mind this agency didn't even exist when Lance was already winning titles.

August 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  30. SanFranciscan

Lets keep catching the cheaters and clean up all sports. If you cheat you lose.

August 25, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pete

As you worship at the shrine of the San Fransico Giants you make these statements Armstrong has done more for humanity than your entire beloved city by bay

August 25, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • gakster

You should build a church in his honor.

August 25, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Mark

It is time to take the DOPES out of the Anti-Doping Associaiton....

August 25, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  32. SanFranciscan

Reading so many of these posts shows just how dumb the average American is. Ohh Lance had cancer! He created the almighty yellow wristbands! He helps people with cancer. Lance IS a cancer.

August 25, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  33. LazerHeaven

I'm just guessing here, but if my immune system was all but dissolved after vigorous, round after round of chemo therapy; knowing that my cancer had metastasized to remote corners of my body, I would develop a tendency to indulge in anything and everything that would somehow, prevent the cancer from returning, and equally important, return me the strength that I once had. The psychology of cancer patients is not self evident, but look at what Lance has done for a living, besides cycling, for a hint.

For Lance, what was good anti-cancer treatment follow up, could also be against regulation. For example, cancer survivors often suffer from acute anemia. The treatment for that is frequent blood transfusions. Guess where his cancer started?. The connections between what is claimed to have given him an unfair advantage, and the legitimate, life or death, requirements to survive cancer, were indeed, like Siamese twins–one stepping on the gas, the other on the brakes.

I don't believe for a moment that Lance would seek an unfair advantage, just to win. If it is true that they found tests "consistent", only an ignorant fool could judge Lance blindly without looking at his life, as a whole, and using a little wisdom. Lance is guilty of being a survivor, people need to think about that for a while. The author cites an "expert" who tells you that Lance went at speeds consistent with juicing, but he fails miserably at judging because any TDF winner is much more than fast.

August 25, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  34. radracer

now the USADA needs to investigate every rider just like the effort they put forth to incriminate Lance. I bet in the end we would find every athlete cheated at some level – during one of their years in competition. In the end the true "clean" winner is probably the guy who came in 124th place!

August 25, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • bitnar

a very proud 124th place.

August 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  35. SanFranciscan

Lance Armstrong somewhat reflects what America is today – a corrupt nation in denial.

August 25, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oklahoman

I hear that North Korea will welcome disgruntled Americans like yourself – maybe you'll find less cancer and a more accepting atmosphere there.

August 25, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mariana

– Such a gorgeous wednidg, fantastic couple at the centre of it all. I love the intrigue, the attention to detail in that opening image and there's so much versatility in your work throughout, Becca. You really capture the life and soul of it all.

September 3, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  36. Margaret C.

So those yellow wristbands for testicular cancer are now meaningless? Did he give himself cancer by doping? I'm about to jump up and stick a fork in your neck!!!

August 25, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Gatorsjer

Um... Bull sh%*..............Lance Armstrong......7 Time Tour da France champ.... Try topping that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 25, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • facingreality

Hurray for the USADA! Armstrong gave up defending himself because he knows he can't. His statement that he has more important work to do–for cancer– is a virtual admission of his guilt. Now he can hide behind his "heroic" work for cancer. People will believe anything to have a hero.

August 25, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  38. GlueckAuf

Let's say the late Steven Jobs had amassed a bank account just like Bernie Madoff's. Let's say Apple had a lot of protegees of Stephen Jobs who'd been fired by Apple who all later cried to the press how corrupt, and evil, and awful Stephen Jobs was (and much worse than them, of course). Fold in years of additional lies, envy, failed court battles, ambitious witch hunters, and a scandal-hungry press.

I guarantee you, over time, Steven Jobs would be perceived to be no less a villain, and just as evil, as Bernie Madoff himself. And the fact that Stephen Jobs had never been convicted of anything would not matter in the least. The perception would have been crafted, and it would stick.

If you repeat a lie often enough, long enough, and intensely enough, soon almost everyone believes it must be true.

Lance is innocent. The system that has destroyed him–and could destroy any of us, too–is what's evil.

August 25, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Otasawian

The USADA is the one who needs to be investigated in this instance. Lance Armstrong has been heavily tested and scrutinized throughout his career and has been investigated by the US Federal government and they will not pursue him further due to lack of evidence. Did he cheat? Maybe? Probably?, but that is not enough to destroy and mans career.
    The USADA is suspect in this instance, it's as if they are using Lance Armstrong to create a climate of fear for athletes who compete. They will pursue you even if there is no direct evidence, along long as someone "outs" you, that is enough for them to destroy your career – this seems an awful lot like what happened in the 1950"s during the McCarthy era. Something is rotten is going on at the USADA.

August 25, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steven

USADA... taking a page from the playbook of 1950's McCarthy... I thought innocent until proven guilty and hearsay is just that hearsay... if the FBI declined to prosecute that really tells me something there. I agree he should just let it go.. you can only defend yourself from character assassination for so long to keep addressing it only keeps it going. SO the USADA needs to PUT UP or SHUT UP.. he has been tested 6 ways from sunrise and I am pretty much tired of this blow hard over at the USADA harassment of L.A.i am wondering if he can sue them for liabel and slander.. and these blood samples.. where did they come from and were they secure.. who had access, where have they been stored.. do we know they are his?? lots of questions on the usada.. if the governments wants a universal testing agency then fund it, and have strict control's, guidelines and culpability. I believe Lance.. USADA can go jump, I am hope the organizations keep his titles in place... he past the tests for them.

August 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  40. SanFranciscan

Remove the biggest cheater and the rest will follow. Thank you USADA.

August 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Hondo

Why is the USADA spending thousands to chase after Lance? Shouldn't they spend that money to ensure the present and future of sports are clean rather than the past? And if Lance is stripped of his titles, who will those victories fall to? Probably some other doping cyclist. Will they chase them all down?

August 25, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  42. tarb myers

EPO causes cancer in California

August 25, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jan

EPO (Epogen) is a medication used to enhance the production of red blood cells in many immunocompromised patients. It is used in dialysis (where the dialysis itself destroys some RBC) cancer, and many other conditions. It does NOT cause cancer, in California or anywhere else. Get your facts straight before making such stupid claims. Athletes use it to boost the number of RBC in their system and therefore enhance performance. "Doping" is a misleading term. Also: if they have no evidence of Lance Armstrong ever using any medication; eg: no positive blood samples, then this whole thing smells like not only a witch hunt, but a bad case of sour grapes on the part of other athletes. Guilty until proven innocent? Crimony. I think he should go after the anti-doping agency for defamation of character and anything else he can sue them for.

August 25, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  43. G.P.Rose

There is no court in this land in which the evidence that was used against Lance Armstrong would be sufficient to support a "finding" of any kind. The "evidence" used by USADA was based on statements from witnesses who were guaranteed anonymity (therefore no cross-examination or opportunitity for rebuttal based on bias or lack of basis for their asserted knowledge). Because it is nearly impossible to prove a negative, ie. that doping did not occur, the burden of proof is on the proponent of the allegations, ie. USADA. Basing a finding that Armstrong was guilty of doping on statements from anonymous sources is ludicrous. It is USADA that should be stripped of its authority to govern cycling.

August 25, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  44. 66Biker

To these so called "cyclists" who say good riddance, I offer you this challenge. Take all the "drug enhancements" you like, buff yourself up and make yourself "super human" like so many people say LA did by taking these "drug enhancements", and then go ride the same routes of all the stages of the 7 Tour de France races he won, and have someone time you. If you can beat his times, for every stage of every race, THEN I just might believe you. Otherwise, you are just a bunch losers crying because Lance Armstrong is better than you. And I won't even suggest that you get cancer, get treatment for it, and survive it first BEFORE you beat him. I think that would be asking a little too much.

August 25, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juan

Like the saying goes "you can't make donkeys into race horses". Totally agree with you.

August 25, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • bitnar

Interesting idea, 66Biker. Not that I would ever encourage anyone to dope up, but if so many people do it, why was Lance the only clear winner? As an analogy, it's like all the people who claim Demi Moore or Angelina Jolie or Megan Fox are only beautiful because of plastic surgery (true or not). If that were possible, everyone would be drop-dead gorgeous. But they are not. It's genetics, folks.

August 25, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  45. SanFranciscan

The USADA has far far far more to gain promoting a clean champion than destroying one. Lance was a master at passing the drug tests of the day and reinjecting illicit things to continue cheating – something he'd not achieve with today's test technologies. The USADA did their job and Armstong tried to destroy them – even trying to eliminate their funding! What an ego! I guess Armstrong justifies lying to the world because the sport is so rife with cheaters. - If he didn't cheat than nobody else did either and cycling gains the world's admiration. - Listening to so many idiots across America still defending him and hating the USADA reminds me of the misled who elected W Bush and morons who still think he saved the world from WMDs by invading Iraq!

August 25, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  46. f. carter

They were too harsh on the man, traces of drugs in his bloodstream and still wins 7 times an impossible race. I wonder how many of those guys in competition with him were doing the same thing and yet the man beat all of them 7 times, an impossible feat. I will not believe that drugs alone gave him that much strength and speed, what his training and self determination?

August 25, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Juan

Andy Shen cat 4 racer is hardly a competitive cyclist. That's like comparing a high school baseball player who is a bench warmer to a pro ball player, so why would this guy's opinion matter CNN? Sorry to say it but this guy has no idea on what it takes to be a pro. He basically rides the weekend warrior class which is fine but don't give this guy more worth than what he truly is. Secondly even if Lance might have doped does it really matter? Take a look as to who would now win the tour? Big Jan another doper. Go down the line. The top 10 have all been accused for almost every year he has won. Bottom line is "you can't make a donkey into a racehorse".

August 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Mike

Absolutely ridiculous! USADA and WADA are embarrassed because they were never able to prove Armstrong doped using the testing methods of the day so they retest old (degraded) samples years later with different methods and continue to harass him until he cries "uncle." It's a sad truth that riders dope but it's all a game and it's been happening since the beginning of cycling. If USADA and WADA want to clear any possibility of doping in the record books they need to nullify all wins and records over the past 100yrs because doping has been involved in every race by every rider.

August 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Mike

Michael Phelps? Missy Franklin?? Too soon??

August 25, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Johnny

Stripped of his winnings? I think not. He rode that bike faster and longer than anyone in the world.
    Let someone legaly dope up and try to break those records just to see if it can be done again.
    Lance, I don't know you, I never met you, but you are the fastest biker in the world.

August 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  51. midwestmatt

Suspicions are not enough to convict.

I'm not a rider and I don't follow competitive cycling but this reeks of BS.

August 25, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  52. DaveGinOly

If you look at the TdF #2 finishers during the years of Armstrong's victory, all but one of them was caught doping later, or was involved in a doping scandal. Now that it appears they will become the "winners" of those TdFs, will they be pursued relentlessly for years to strip them of their now first-place finishes? Will their former team mates be offered immunity for testimony against them? Will their national anti-drug agencies extend their jurisdictions into periods of time when they didn't even exist? I don't think so. And therein lies the unfairness of this whole situation. LA has been (mis)treated as no other cyclist has ever been before.

August 25, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  53. peakprofit

My two cents:

By almost anyone's opinion, Armstrong is something of a self centered jerk. I recall back when he beat cancer, he was quick to toss his wife to the side, so that he could date celebrities. This, with small kids as well. So while it was enjoyable to watch him win, he was not really an endearing champion.

Those who stick to the story that he is completely clean are delusional. There really is a ton of evidence, including scientific ( samples of blood).

That said, a lot of people in the sport were doing the same thing. And I will not use the word 'cheating' because he was playing within the rules that were written. He got tested a lot, and they never found anything that was illegal. Now, with 20 / 20 hindsight, we see that there is evidence that he had things in his body THEN, that are only illegal NOW. TO me, that is a lot like putting millions of people in jail for DUI, because the limit is .08 NOW, and they blew a .15 THEN. Well, 15 years ago, the standard was .15, so people were operating legally, at least at the time.

My impression is that the USADA was , indeed, on something of a witch hunt. The government just cleared Armstrong, 6 months ago. Of course, the government used the practices and standards that have made this country so great. The USADA used no such standards. They relied on innuendo, cut deals with cheaters for testimony, did not let the accused hear from his accusers, and provided nothing but anecdotal evidence.

My personal opinion is that I don't like Lance Armstrong all that much. But I still believe he was railroaded by an out of control USADA. I guess grandma was correct all along: Two wrongs do not make a right.

August 25, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • DaveGinOly

Just an FYI. At the time LA was racing, some substances and practices were illegal, but there was no way to test for them. So the rules were already in place, but testing regimens were lacking – although most, if not all, are in place now.

August 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nope to dope

Sheryl left him to date kid rock. He didn't leave her to date celebrities. If my wife left me after I beat testicle cancer to date that white trash, I'd date every hot celebrity that I could. Now it was reported that she may have a brain tumor. Karma is a b! Tch.

The USada has got to be headed by a guy that lance must have stolen their girlfriend in high school or something . The amount fervor that they are still going after this guy is rediculous.

August 25, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mike

Nope to Dope – check your facts, Sheryl Crow was who LA dated after he left his wife, not his wife.

August 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • KeninTexas

You put it just right. I have to agree with you.

August 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  54. EJ

These cyclists that say "Good Riddance" are nothing but 2nd rate losers.

August 25, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • gakster

No, EJ, they are people who are tired of the arrogance and ignorance of Lance and his rabid supporters.

August 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • SLC

Being arrogant and ignorant does not quantify and prove cheating occurred. The question that must be answered is do we have undeniable, quantifiable PROOF that he doped and cheated. If the the answer is no, just like a court of law, we have to acquit the man of the allegations, regardless of our opinions. The court of public opinion is where he is being found guilty, no other hard proof exists to my knowledge. Like him or not, this is not the reason to strip him of his achievements.

August 25, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
        • gakster

Nothing you have said changes the fact that he is a grating, irritating, reprehensible dimwit.

August 25, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sam

no, wait, I got one: they are hack 1 not cat 1. he he

August 25, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

they are all wannabe cat 2 who never made cat 1.

August 25, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Sam

To those not versed in criminal or legal matters, here's how it probably went down. Lance's attorney was present at all the depositions of teammates, doctors, massage therapists, hospital visitors, close friends, testing lab techs, etc... The attorneys on both sides saw the same exact evidence and Lance's attorney probably told him he doesn't have a chance. At least quitting early, as apparent by the mass support, he can save some of his base.

August 25, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • midwestmatt

I do know a bit about depositions, etc. and your posit is a stretch.

I doubt you would want someone to make the same assumptions about you. Or, maybe I'm just assuming too much.

August 25, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • gakster

Ah, a lawyer AND a Lance worshiper- what a lethal combination.

August 25, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sam

matt
        lol....no need to get personal / judgmental on my ass.
        It's all a chess match and lessons in life. debates here dont change the outcome they just create conversation.

August 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • DaveC

No Sam, I think you are wrong. I think he just got tired. They tried the same damn thing on Greg LeMond. That is one of the reasons he quit. It's just not worth it. As for the people on this blog who say Armstrong's times are so much better than anyone else take a look across history. Even with the lightweight bikes and other tech marvels the times still are not that much different today than 30-40 years ago.

This was a never ending star chamber witch hunt that Armstrong had not hope of winning. The heck with all of the governing bodies. The whole sport of cycling is tainted and they have their eyes covered and the ears covered. They just made themselves look foolish.

August 25, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sam

Dave,
        The only thing I cant believe in this whole process is that Lance got tired and quit. This here and now is where he needs to compete...to fight...to save his family.....his name....his charity....This is not the time to get tired and quit. Knowing him, I highly doubt he is tired. I am thinking that he is trying hard to save the charities that do so much good work. After all, winning all those races requires you to be a superb tactician.

August 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • SLC

Then the evidence should be made available, not the innuendo and chance the guy is guilty. Prove it.

August 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sam

?!??! well, of course, and I believe all evidence in the 'discovery' phase is made available to both parties in the claim.
        As a neutral party, I think he is making the best decision. I am sure he has competent attorneys who guide him through the process. As I said I dont buy the 'tired' argument. After seeing Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens survive investigations and criminal trials (not sure about RC having a criminal trial), I was hoping Lance would stand his ground.

August 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Keith

Whether Armstrong took performance enhancing drugs or not is his choice. I don't care one way or the other, either. However, for the government to waste significant time and money prosecuting an issue that frankly is a non issue iand none of their business s criminal. That is the bigger issue.

August 25, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  57. West Cosgrove

First, the title of the article, "Cyclists say good riddance", is incorrect. The article quoted ONE cyclist, one supporter and one former fund raiser for the cancer foundation. Secondly, in the end, Lance is 100% correct about the process being unfair. The federal prosecutor investigating Lance found insufficient evidence to continue. He never failed a test. He was never caught. Suspicion, yes there is cause for suspicion. Could Lance have beaten all those excellent riders who were doping without doping himself? We will never know. But this process is clearly rigged against the athlete. Guilty until proven innocent in this kingdom of the USADA, where hard evidence is not necessary, just hearsay and uncorroborated statements of cyclists who were caught. We need a fair process to find out the truth. I put my money on the federal investigation. It came up empty. Why isn't that enough?

August 25, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  58. Karff

I hear all these people comparing Armstrong to Jordan, but a more apt description would be to Michael Phelps. He is swimming...over the last three olympics he took virtually every gold he competed for. Armstrong seemed to peak at the right time, just like Phelps did. Organizations like this seem to always go after some big name in order to confirm their place in this world. Stupid USADA.

August 25, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  59. Sean

As a cancer survivor myself, having gone through the same process about 14 mos earlier – the chemo, the surgeries, the rehab, indeed the same docs at IUMC ... it would be VERY easy for me to support Lance blindly.

The fact is that we CANNOT allow professional athletes to cheat and retain the awards/rewards of that effort. We do that and our children just accept that taking the shortcuts and 'cheating' (in any sense of the word) is acceptable, if not rewarded.

Another fact is that there is ONLY circumstantial evidence that Lance did not follow the rules and regs present for each of those races, which indeed are the ONLY ones that matter - you can't hold folks to rules/regs that have not been published.

So - I certainly do not have all of the information, but it amazes me that Lance is being found 'guilty' despite the rigors with which he was tested never turning up any hard evidence. I also have NO IDEA what jurisdiction the USADA has over these races – the TDF, anyway...
    I support Lance as a fellow cancer survivor, but more importantly in this case I support him because I am not aware of anything that would make a strong case for overturning his achievements.
    LIVESTRONG !

August 25, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  60. Don Juan

So you guys ask the guy who just had a teammate pop positive for EPO. Good job CNN

August 25, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  61. Jo

White. Gonzo. Sportsman. #BIGFAIL

August 25, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  62. JayBird

Lance has never tested positive for PED's or Steroids. IF Lance is stripped of his titles with no evidence of violations, then Cycling is as corrupt as Boxing ever was. It will only hurt Cycling, not make it better.

August 25, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  63. Ron

Greg LeMond has always been the greatest American cyclist.

August 25, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • AB

Yup. Until he started pandering to the french media and criticizing Armstrong in public, even while Armstrong was continually being tested, and passing those tests. Lemond (who I admired a lot when he was racing) came across as a jealous little bitch, annoyed that there could actually be somebody better than him.

And, while we're on the subject...had Lemond's blood samples been frozen, then re-tested as forensics improved, who is to say that he would not have been caught using PEDs?

August 25, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Paul Eberth

Who cares, – he won them all and he is telling the USADA to go to hell and leave him alone – as well he should.

August 25, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • John Kendall

Good riddance! He cheated and you are foolish if you don't understand that.

August 25, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • david bellavance

lance did more for cycling than anyone could imagine

August 25, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • gakster

And now he's done more to destroy it than anyone ever has. Utterly fantastic!

August 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Brian Halp

Does anyone think that the USADA is just trying for a trophy? They knew that ctiticism of thei actions would be unrelenting and unpopular and the easiest course would have been to just say what happened in the past stays there. That's my two bits.

August 25, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  66. registrywidgets

Forget everything in the article; I object to the headline. it is CYCLIST says good riddance and not even a professional cyclist. I quote: "Andy Shen is a writer for the cycling website, NY Velocity, and a competitive cyclist here in New York". He's a writer, paid to write to sell newspapers. You can have your opinion, Andy, but don't tout it as the cycling worlds' opinion.

August 25, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  67. Jason Van Dyke

Hopefully this injustice will be exactly what Congress needs to strip the USADA of their authorization to go on these types of witch hunts. I would have done the same thing. Why waste money fighting in their kangaroo court when the result has been pre-determined. Its like Alice in Wonderland: Verdict first, trial second.

August 25, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  68. gakster

And nobody had better make the ridiculous claim that Armstrong beat cancer, therefore he must be a great person. That's a load of crap. The fact that he beat cancer and is STILL a jerk makes it even worse. Not even the fear of impending death has humbled him.

August 25, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Glen

Say Hi to Mitt when you see him.

August 25, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  69. Zee

What authority does the USADA have on a foreign sporting event? None. Just plain arrogance. Let the French decide for themselves based on the evidence.

August 25, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Zeke

Thank you! The whole thing is a farce, and the USAGA is a joke as far as I'm concerned. Where is the evidence? They keep saying they'll produce it. Great, so show it to the world. We'll wait... and call your bluff 🙂

August 25, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Alyarby

As several people have written, this questioning of victories appears to be the trend in America these days. The "you didn't build that," or "you didn't do that alone" syndrome seems to be taking hold. Every time a person appears to be exceptional, appears to be outstanding at something, there is a rush to strip him of his award, strip him of the accolades, strip him down to MEDIOCRITY, which seems to be the preferred standard these days. I have always enjoyed watching Lance and will always be glad I had those chances. I am tired of the witch-hunt style pursuit of mediocrity in this country and long for the days of American exceptionalism again.

August 25, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  71. sparky

The sport is tainted, there is no doubt of that. It's unfortunate that now if you excel in a sport, it must be drug related, always the threat of an asterisk next to your name, or the removal of your name. I don't know if he did it or not, but one thing is sure, all agencies involved spent a lot of money, effort and time to bring him down. In the end, I don't think he "gave up" because of any evidence, I think he gave up because he felt he'd be fighting this the rest of his life. It's sad regardless of the outcome.

August 25, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  72. Glen

Armstrong 7 titles and cancer research $400+ million . USADA and anyone who believes jailhouse confessions supercede no positive tests 0.

August 25, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • gakster

So what? George Bush was president of the United States, and he was and still is one of the biggest idiots in the history of mankind.

August 25, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  73. tpinmelbourne

Was he cheating? probably. Were many of his era doing the same? probably, if you believe those that were caught and those that weren't but later admitted guilt. The reasonable solution would be to put an asterisk next to the titles and move forward. He was the best of the riders, those doped and those not. Too often these review boards are made up of mediocre athletes blaming their lot not on their limited abilities but on other's "cheating" and are on a mission of I told you so. Maybe they should just hand out participation yellow jerseys to all.

August 25, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  74. Leti

Let's remember all of the money the man has made by being the best. All those endorsements – Millions of dollars. If he indeed is guilty, to strip him of his wins is the only right thing to do. Kids look up to these sports heroes and it would be a good lesson to teach.

August 25, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  75. Donna Dils

Jealousy is such an ugly thing! Hey cyclists-do you think your sport would be gaining in popularity, receiving the exposure it gets, and providing the $$$ winnings at stake that allows you to pursue your dream without Lance Armstrong paving the way? USADA is a travesty, preferring to bring down an icon to cleaning up those who still race today. I'm so sure those pillars of the sport, like Contador and Voight, will be happy to accept those tour wins with no mention of their bans for dopingv (proven as opoosed to alleged) The country I once knew is a thing of the past. Welcome back to Salem, MA. I believe we used to burn "witches" based on hearsy rather than proof. Sound familiar?Congratulations, USADA, you've set us back 300 years in the name of truth. Live strong, Lance; you will always be my hero.

August 25, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  76. Steven

It seems unreasonable to strip him of every TDF win. Even if he did use drugs, I think they had the chance to test him at the time. They should have a statute of limitations. For example, they should only be able to test, retest and possibly revoke a title during the year between the end of one race and the start of the next. After that time, which I believe is more than adequate, the medal/title/trophy is rightfully theirs. Revoking more than one year is poor sportsmanship and should not be allowed. Personally, I believe there are some athletes who are simply amazing. They have the determination, dedication, stamina and drive to achieve awesome results. Other posts have mentioned Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, and so on. The Olympics just ended. How many of us could earn even one Gold medal, let alone seven? I agree this has been a witch-hunt and they should be ashamed. Revoking any at this late stage is sad commentary on the system. Taking away all seven titles is absolutely ridiculous.

August 25, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • FHTEX

Steven,

I don't think it's been a witch-hunt. When all of your teammates testify that you not only doped with them but encouraged them to dope and they have all been punished along with your trainer but you have until now escaped punishment because of questionable handling of your own drug samples, that is not a witch-hunt. The question is whether the U,S. government will be forced to reopen the drug case against Armstrong–because he was a member of the U.S. Postal Team, his previous claims of innocence could result in a perjury conviction which would in his case be a Federal crime punishable by a long prison sentence. Remember–cheaters never win!

August 25, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  77. Jammer

With all due respect to cancer survivors, I've read that most (percentage?) cancer survivors, with the aggressiveness of both the disease and the chemo/radiation, etc...never feel quite as good as prior to the illness's onset...especially with more debilitating instances as in Armstrong's case as it spread from his testes to his lungs, brain, etc...

Now, take an up-and-coming cyclist/triathlete like Armstrong who had massive aspirations while having not yet achieved his goals in the sports along with a strong enough dream, will, and support system to succeed and win post-cancer...and you can very well have a formula to achieve "at all costs." Could the Livestrong entity been a means to provide enough of a support system, veil, money, or whatever to allow Armstrong to dope in somewhat that was unidentifiable? It's possible. Anything's possible.

Alternatively, there's something else that has no limits...and that's pure heart, guts, motivation, and drive...albeit drug-free. What if Armstrong's story is the stuff of miracles and ultimate achievement?

Which one...or both...are at play here? We may never know. One thing's for sure...a lot of cancer patients are much better off with Lance's place in the sporting/cycling world. If doping...or pure heart...progressed cancer research and ultimately prolonged and saved lives, then I could care less which category Armstrong belongs.

August 25, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Well said Jammer.

August 25, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  78. CJ

The only people glad to see him gone are the wanna-be cyclists who will never achieve the level of performance Lance did. Until they release the samples that supposedly show he used EPO and independently tested and verified, he will remain the greatest cyclist ever. Seems too many are far too willing to pronounce him guilty without a fair trial ( which is what he requested) and not a biased arbitration run by the USADA. Saying enough is enough is not an admission of guilt.

August 25, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  79. Cinchy

They're not saying "good riddance." They're saying "oh oh – I might be next."

August 25, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  80. davidk

all 7 of his TDF win's were not by huge margins. so, it would seem if armstrong cheated to win by a relatively slim margin what would that say about the rest of the field? i watched armstrong win the presidents triathalon in dallas when he was 15. he was an exceptional athlete.

August 25, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  81. pd

seems to be the way America is headed now....any success is to be pulled down. 7 Tour victories? You didn't build that Lance. How many of you were out cycling this morning getting fit? Probably not many

August 25, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • DOUG

Double chin Obama bot Moore-ons love that Lance has been punished for expressing Conservative views, they all admire Mao because he killed 30 million of his opposition and that is there dream here, only they gotta take the guns away from those who have them for protection, only guns for Mexican drug cartels and gangs, every Democrat believes that.

August 25, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
      • jack

keep smoking that crack !

August 25, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
      • gakster

With psychotic enthusiasts like you, it's easy to see why the "sport" of cycling is considered a joke by most people.

August 25, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
      • pensimmon

What? Talk about lunatic ravings.

August 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  82. AB

There is a set procedure for testing; EVERYone is tested via this procedure. And Armstrong passed everyone of these tests. He, then, appears to have been singled out for special treatment by USADA and it gets murky. WHY was he singled out? And WHY did USADA/WADA not apply the same special treatment to all participants in the Tour since 1999??? Any lawyer will argue this in court...it smells of a personal vendetta by Tygart. For those who would disagree...please explain...do you really think that if this special treatment/testing had been applied to everybody in the peloton, then ONLY Armstrong would have been caught? Also, what about the USADA's own statute of limitations? There is a reason why Judge Sam Brown cast aside Armstrong's challenge but still saw fit to ennunciate his concerns at the proceedings and USADA's impartiality.

And...Mr Shen...there are doubtless some riders saying "Good Riddance". However, the most cursory glance at some of the european publication websites (which also feature interviews with riders at the Vuelta) reveals that a much larger percentage are laughing at the USADA and the whole testing process which, clearly, concentrates an inordinate amount of power in the hands of theTygarts of this world.

August 25, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  83. natural home remedies for gout pain

August 25, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • gakster

"natural home remedies for gout pain"? Who told you that you could speak?

August 26, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Dan Elam

I think Mr. Chen is mistaken: others have eclipsed Lance's speeds so that isn't a reasonable indictment. Lance's competitive achievements will be a mixed legacy. I am forced to admit there is a lot of circumstantial evidence against him, but, at the same time, he revolutioned the Tour with training techniques, planning, and superior tactics. The use of wind tunnels, riding all of the major climbs, and emphasis on peaking ONLY for theTour are things others didn't do. His legacy will definitely be complicated.

August 25, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  85. Ralph Renzetti

I don't think he should be stripped. I know that a high percent of the best riders are are doping. They just didn't get caught. Plus they only test the placers. If he wasn't a super athelete , drugs or not he wouldn't have won.

August 25, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  86. Bill

No, most of us do not say "good riddance". Perhaps you should take a poll(of cyclists) before using such a headline. Don't know if Steve Kastenbaum is a cyclist, but I am. If Lance showed up to ride with me tomorrow morning, I'd be honored. If he were in a televised race, I would watch it. I will still wear a Livestrong wrist band. Speak for yourself Steve!

August 25, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  87. Tom

USADA should be banned. After 500 tests and no positives since prior to 1999. Why look into and waste money that would be better spent elsewhere. I agree with another statement, let's look into the number 2, 3, and 4 finishers also, Michael Jordan, Dr. J, Hank Aaron, Bret Favre, Ali, Jim Brown etc. USADA you are rediculous organization.

August 25, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  88. AmatuerRacer

Just because there was a witch hunt, and I believe there was, does not mean Armstrong isn't guilty. I want to say, Armstrong singlehandedly advanced cycling in the USA far beyond where we were in the mid 90's. His story and victories drew many many people to the sport and made many more aware of it. I believe Armstrongs competitiors were doping, his teammates were doping and he was doping. Its not exactly "fair" that he is singled out, but that is the nature of the beast. I hope Lance has one last gift for the sport, to help expose the culture of doping in pro cycling and end it once and for all.

August 25, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  89. Lynn

If he's guilty he's getting just what he deserves. U cheat u don't win, karma always comes back around.

August 25, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • andyoo

Pepple, wake up.
      How do you prove the number 2,3,4,5,6 didn't cheat and deserve the TDF win?

August 25, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Yes, it IS a witchhunt

"If"... the keyword. There's absolutely no proof whatsoever... other than the countless drug tests he's passed.

August 25, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  90. JT

After battling a blood-born cancer, the ABSOLUTE WORST thing you can put in your body is anything with steroids. I have had to fight through some secondary things where a steroid would have done the job much better but my oncologist said that the steroids act as a fast-acting trigger to give the cancer a way back in. So...let's forget about the cycling for a moment and let's look at the cancer survivor – His oncologists would have vehemently opposed ANYTHING going into his body that could have facilitated the recurrence of the cancer. If he had not been through this battle, the doping would have been much more believable however, that is not the case.

August 25, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Ron

Nobody is saying steroids, it's EPO and other blood doping methods.

August 25, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • FHTEX

JT,

Armstrong wasn't accused of using steroids but rather EPO, which is used in the treatment of cancer and which he received as part of his own cancer treatment initially.

August 25, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  91. Gary

I am glad all this crap is finally over. Now the sporting world can get back to talking about real sports. The only people obsessed over this matter are the French and other people who think riding a bicycle is a real sport. I lived in Austin Texas and had to listen all about poor Lance. At least now he can spend more time with his cancer support. I do admire the man for that. For all I care, the French can have all his awards and keep their bicycles in France. and thank us for

August 25, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • jen

Cycling is a sport, it requires athleticism on the riders part and the stronger rider wins. It is just like racing on foot but with wheels. I'm sorry cycling annoys you but that doesn't change the fact that it is in fact a real sport. It's in the Olympics for goodness sake. But cycling has always been more of a European thing than an American. Maybe that's why you dislike it.

August 25, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
      • CJ

Badmitten and curling are Olympic sports, too. most would hardly call them sports. But, cycling is a real sport demanding physical endurance and strategy. Team racing is even more so. We are so dependent on cars or watching sports from our couch that we forget in other parts of the world, sports like cycling reflect their culture. Cycling had a brief surgence when the movie "Breaking Away" came out, then we went back to our football.

August 25, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
      • gakster

I walk a trail that is overridden with cyclists. They are consistently rude, arrogant, impolite, and self-absorbed. They think that people who walk and run are just in the way, low-life to be run off the trail. They are just a bunch of amateur vermin, a pestilence, a flock of vultures whose loftiest desire in life is to be like their hero Lance. Well, I'm ecstatic that their once-invincible god has been dethroned.

August 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sportmac

Please. Tell us what these "real" sports are. Enlighten us to what criteria you use to make this claim.

August 25, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Rkdrss

Puck you Gary, cycling is a sport. Typical redeem. I'd live to ride my bike all over your face

August 25, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
      • gakster

Cycling is not a sport. And yeah, you'd have to ride your bike all over his face because you're not brave enough to take him on face-to-face. Typical arrogant, cowardly amateur wanna-be cyclist.

August 25, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
        • Please

And I'm sure your not a coward yourself,hiding behind your computer. Cycling is a sport you numbnut, please enlighten me with what you consider a sport? Typical idi0t

August 25, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
        • gakster

Please, please. I'm not a coward- I'd say it straight to your face, or that of any other microcephalous Lance sycophant. And it is not a sport. It is a pleasant past-time that a pack of young, stupid, shallow, self-consumed dolts with too much time and money on their hands have turned into yet another way to express their unjustified and unfounded feelings of superiority over those whom they mistakenly consider to be lesser beings.

August 26, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Augie

If you don't think that cycling is a real sport, then you are not thinking.

August 25, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Please

I could give two 5hitz about what Andy Shen thinks. As for cyclists saying good riddance, 5crew them two. Anyone who knows anything about pro cycling would know that doping is prevelant in the sport. So even if he did dope, so did everyone else around him. So in my eyes it was a level playing field, he still won. No unfair advantage. The truth is that the French cold not get over the fax that an American won the tour.

August 25, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  92. andyoo

Really?
    So if you disqualify armstrong (that he show negative blood tests) ...and take away his TDF wins..
    So who do you give it to?
    number 2?
    how do you know number 2,3,4,5,6.....that the whole group is not cheating and drug enhanced? Which there is a great possibility they did....So you give them number 1 spot because they show negative blood test at the time?? How are you sure they are not drugged? If they are drugged also, how do they deserve the win more than Armstrong?
    Really? how do you proof the next guy did not cheat.
    Or else, you leave the 7 years Armstrong wins with no clear winner. Since everyone could havd drugged.

August 25, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  93. Tim T

Lance is just a determined supreme athlete. There is no evidence against him. He was determined staring in the face of his own possible mortality. Continue testing but lets strip those of their titles who actually have been using. Really at the end of the day isn't the playing field level for everyone since it seems all are either enhancing or not?

August 25, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • gakster

Face it and move on with your life- he's an arrogant, self-serving cheater, a shallow, witless pig who just happened to beat cancer.

August 25, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  94. james

from the USADA:
    1. Lots of cyclist in this era got caught cheating with drugs
    2. Therefore all cyclist were cheating
    3. Therefore lets hammer the most successful cyclist
    Now we have done our job.

August 25, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  95. steve

People say he was so much better than anyone else he had to be cheating. I guess we should now strip Michael Jordon of all his honors, or maybe tiger Woods of all his wins, maybe Mohamed Ali and on and on. Every sport at one time or another has an athlete that stood our above all others. I am just happy I had the opportunity to watch him when he was at the top. Thank you Lance.

August 25, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Thankyou USADA.....finally Armstrong the cheat gets his just reward. Lance was too much of a coward to fight the charges against him.

August 25, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
      • CJ

Why don't you offer to spend your time and money to carry on the defense in a kangaroo court where he can not win? 500 negative tests aren't enough. Are you a "birther" politically as well?

August 25, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  96. gakster

The arrogant, ignorant, self-absorbed idiot deserves it. He brought it on himself; nobody else is to blame. I just wish more athletes, celebrities, and politicians like him would get slammed down hard.

August 25, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • madcow11

You said it right, gakster.

August 25, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • andyoo

how do you prove the next guy and next guy and next next guy in the ranking did not cheat?
      If they all cheated, may the best cheater wins.

August 25, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • InMyHappyPlace

So tell me what he did. Don't make allegations. Don't just spew out what the media has told you. Give us the evidence to go with it. Please. Nobody else has been able to do that yet so lets see what you got.

August 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • gakster

It's just as much about what he is as what he's done. He's a transparent fraud, a shallow, arrogant corporate hack, a self-absorbed, condescending moron. That's why so many people hate his guts, and why so many people love to see him discredited and humiliated.

August 26, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • RedWhite&Blue

The USADA has been on a witch hunt against Lance for years, and basically dedicated their whole existence to bring him down–based only on allegations from anonymous competitors of Lance. I thought that in our country one is innocent until proven guilty. Apparently this does not apply to Lance when it comes to the USADA. We should disband the USADA and reconstitute it. Prove your case, USADA or leave Lance alone. He has made the USA proud. He has done more for the sport and for cancer research and victims than just anybody else I have read about.

August 25, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • RedWhite&Blue

Hey Gakster, prove your case. How many tests does one have to pass before one is considered to be telling the truth. He passed everything they threw at him, and now the USADA is relying purely on "allegations" from anonymous tipsters. Is that the best they can do to prove someone guilty?

August 25, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • CoolNeutral

No one else to blame? He could blame his cowardly ex-teammates that sold him out to save their own reputations and income by hiding behind this ludicrous anonymity. These guys are also career cheats, or you blame Armstrong for that too. Holding them down and injecting them with PEDs no doubt. You could blame Travis Tygart for not having anything better to do than grandstand about how the arbitration process is fair, under oath and all that nonsense. I'm cool with Armstrong and the lot taking PEDs but don't kid yourself that he was the only one or that someone his teammates or the USADA has the moral high ground.

August 25, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  97. April

Lance won the most important and only thing that matters in life...he won the battle against CANCER. There is no proof that he used any performance enhancers so it is all a bunch of nonsense. What happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty. People are just jealous of him and it makes me sick.

August 25, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • gakster

He survived cancer and he's still a self-centered pig. He came face-to-face, up close and personal, with his own mortality, and he's still a shallow pig. That just makes it all even more disgusting.

August 25, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • gakster

He survived cancer and he's still a self-centered pig. He came face-to-face, up close and personal, with his own mortality, and he's still a shallow moron. That just makes it all even more disgusting.

August 25, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  98. DOUG

If Lance was over at Cloonys a few months back and was an outspoken Obama supporter, rather than someone who has expressed Conservative views, he would still have all 7 titles and there would not be a single investigation against him.

High profile people take an enormous risk when they say that they are not Democrat, Breitbart paid a price much greater than Lance here, at least he still has his life and family.

Let's hope that the morally superior win the day in November, otherwise many of us will be visiting a fema camp. The people in the Obama administration like Anita Dunn love and admire Mao for a reason, what he did to 30 million in China they wish to do here in America to everyone right of center.

August 25, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • back to you doug

It amazes me how delusional and ignorant you can be to associate everything in this world to democrat vs. repubs. This is a sporting event that has nothing to do with politics. why don't you come out in the open and say you are just a closet racist who believes that a black man can never do anything right in some white people's eyes. just say it out and then go back to your churches and pray to your white god.

don not forget that several of his team mates have been indicted on doping charges and have said that lance doped. he either doped like others or is supernatural. to win 7 tour de france tiles take more that luck and training. back to you.

August 25, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
      • DOUG

I just wanted to post the facts but you feel I won something, ah ok thanks I guess.
        After all the hate filled Obama bot only spews its race baiting racist bs when it has been defeated, I guess posting the truth is against your life of lies and hate, no other way to interpret this.
        I hope there is no god for your sake.

August 25, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |